Determining the Net Force on a Wedge and Block System

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass m remaining in place on a frictionless sloping front of an accelerating wedge. The given values are M = 20.0 kg, m = 4.00 kg, and theta = 34.0. The task is to calculate the net force acting on the wedge plus block (M+m) system using Newton's second law of motion. An attempted solution involved trying to change the frame of reference and drawing a free body diagram, but the poster was unsure of what exactly they were trying to find with the wedge.
PAstudent

Homework Statement

[/B]
For the situation shown in the diagram, the block of mass m remains in place on the sloping front of the accelerating wedge, even though that sloping front is frictionless. Given these values, M = 20.0 kg, m = 4.00 kg, and theta= 34.0, calculate the net force acting on the wedge plus block (M+m) system.

Force problem.png

Homework Equations

Newton's second law of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I tried turning the frame of reference so my normal force for the block was on the y-axis on my free body diagram. However, when I was looking at it more, I was confused on what I was actually trying to find with the wedge.

Physics news on Phys.org
PAstudent said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
For the situation shown in the diagram, the block of mass m remains in place on the sloping front of the accelerating wedge, even though that sloping front is frictionless. Given these values, M = 20.0 kg, m = 4.00 kg, and theta= 34.0, calculate the net force acting on the wedge plus block (M+m) system.

View attachment 88942

Homework Equations

Newton's second law of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I tried turning the frame of reference so my normal force for the block was on the y-axis on my free body diagram. However, when I was looking at it more, I was confused on what I was actually trying to find with the wedge.
A vague description of an attempted method does not qualify as a posted attempt. We need to see your working.

What is the definition of net force?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the forces acting on the object in a given direction. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each force.

How is the net force calculated for a wedge and block system?

The net force on a wedge and block system can be calculated by finding the individual forces acting on each object and then adding them together vectorially. This takes into account the angles of the forces and their magnitudes.

Why is the net force on a wedge and block system important?

The net force on a wedge and block system is important because it determines the overall motion of the system. If the net force is zero, the system will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. If the net force is non-zero, the system will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

What factors can affect the net force on a wedge and block system?

The net force on a wedge and block system can be affected by the magnitude and direction of the individual forces, the mass of each object, and the angles at which the forces act on the objects. Friction between the objects can also have an impact on the net force.

How can the net force on a wedge and block system be changed?

The net force on a wedge and block system can be changed by altering the individual forces acting on the objects. This can be done by changing the angle or magnitude of the forces, or by introducing new forces. The mass of the objects can also be changed, which will affect the net force as well.