Net Work Problem, Rotational Motion,

In summary, a ballerian spins initially at 1.5rev/s when arms are extended. Her angular speed increases to 4.0rev/s after she draws her arms in to her body and her moment of inertia is .88kg m^2.
th3plan
A ballerian spins initially at 1.5rev/s when arms are extended. She then draws in her arms to her body and her moment of intertia is .88kg m^2 and her angular speed increases to 4.0rev/s. Determine the network she did to increase her angular speed?

So i first needed to solve for the initial momentum , which i did using equation IW=I2W2, and i got .43kg m 2, then to get the network i used w=(final)IW^2 - (initial) IW^2

i got 518J, i am not to sure if i did this right. Can anyone please tell me if my math is correct ? Also for angular speed, in the work calculation i would need to get that to rad/s if I am correct so multiply by 2pi ?

Thanks Guys

Physics news on Phys.org
A ballerian spins initially at 1.5rev/s when arms are extended. She then draws in her arms to her body and her moment of intertia is .88kg m^2 and her angular speed increases to 4.0rev/s. Determine the network she did to increase her angular speed?

So i first needed to solve for the initial momentum , which i did using equation IW=I2W2, and i got .43kg m 2, then to get the network i used w=(final)IW^2 - (initial) IW^2

i got 518J, i am not to sure if i did this right. Can anyone please tell me if my math is correct ? Also for angular speed, in the work calculation i would need to get that to rad/s if I am correct so multiply by 2pi ?

Thanks Guys

th3plan said:

1. Rotational KE = (1/2)Iw^2, not Iw^2.

2. You must convert to rad/s from rev/s.

Her initial moment of inertia must have been larger surely?
If I use [tex]I\omega = I_2 \omega_2[/tex] I get that it is indeed larger.

As a consequence the work you compute is also too large

your computation of the inital intertial moment is also wrong

ok, yes i understand what i did wrong on intial momentum problem. I should of used 1/2I1W1=1/2I2W2. But, how do i answer the work done?

What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis.

How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is typically measured in terms of angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration. These are measured in radians, radians per second, and radians per second squared, respectively.

What is a net work problem in rotational motion?

A net work problem in rotational motion involves calculating the total work done on an object as it rotates around an axis. This can be calculated using the formula W = τθ, where W is work, τ is torque, and θ is the angular displacement.

Can rotational motion affect linear motion?

Yes, rotational motion can affect linear motion through the concept of centripetal force. As an object rotates around an axis, it experiences a centripetal force that causes it to move in a circular path, thus affecting its linear motion.

What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some examples of rotational motion in everyday life include the rotation of a wheel on a car, the movement of a spinning top, and the rotation of Earth on its axis.