New problem for you: household thermocouples, Etc.

• Thread starter chrishibbard7
  • Start date
In summary: Household water heater thermocouple and power-open gas valve:In summary, a household gas water heater thermocouple and power-open gas valve needs a small current of DC to keep the valve open. If gas supply is interuppted, or the pilot goes out, then no more power from the thermocouple, and the gas valve closes. No gas build-up, and your home doesn't blow up.
chrishibbard7
Household water heater thermocouple and power-open gas valve:
Here's the riddle:
(this is not a homework problem, it's a DIY thing)
how can I use a small amount of electrical power to operate a natural gas valve?
Background:
Household gas water heaters have a built-in safety valve that needs a small current of DC to keep the valve open. They have a suspiciously large pilot, which heats a small thermocouple. The thermocouple provides electricity to keep the safety valvle open. If gas supply is interuppted, or the pilot goes out, then no more power from the thermocouple, and the gas valve closes. No gas build-up, and your home doesn't blow up. Nice, eh?
How much power does a household gas waterheater produce? How can I generate the same amount of power by induction? If I have a hefty load (220V, 50A AC) nearby, can I wrap a coil of wire around this (very insulated) power cable to collect enough power to replace the thermocouple? (BTW-not using it to keep a gas line open anymore)

Any other easy ways around this, or another solution? I thought of using yard irigation valves, which use 12V DV to operate, but I *think* they open OR close whenever they get power... I need a simple system, no ICs involved, as it will be outdoors with little protection from the weather. I want to gate to be open when power flows through large power cable nearby.

Any suggestions of help appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It might help if you would say how you intende to use your valve. Solenoid valves is the way to go. There are all kinds of http://www.ascovalve.com/applications/products/SolenoidValves.aspx" .

Last edited by a moderator:
That is exactly what a thermocouple valve is. A solenoid valve that is designed to run on the very low voltage and high (relative) current from the thermocouple.

If the power conductors are in the same sheath, then you will not be able to tap much powe off of them. You need to separate them so you can capture the magnetic flux from just one conductor, instead of having the multiple fluxes cancel each other out. Is there a practical way to separate the conductors? One way is to make an adapter that takes the cable in, separates the conductors, then recombines them, and has the cable continue out of it. You can put (safe) male/female connectors on the cable, for example, and plug those into your tap box...

Averagesupernova,

I really didn't want to get into how to keep your furnance valve open when you loose flame.

dlgoff said:
Averagesupernova,

I really didn't want to get into how to keep your furnance valve open when you loose flame.

But I get the impression the OP has some other function in mind, not a dangerous thing like bypassing the pilot flame safety valve:

chrishibbard7 said:
(BTW-not using it to keep a gas line open anymore)

But I get the impression the OP has some other function in mind, not a dangerous thing like bypassing the pilot flame safety valve:
Yes, but I want to bring it to the attention of others that might want to try to bypass the saftey.

1. What are household thermocouples?

Household thermocouples are small, electronic devices used to measure temperature in a household setting. They consist of two different metals that are joined together at one end, and when there is a difference in temperature between the two ends, it creates a small voltage that can be measured and converted into a temperature reading.

2. How do household thermocouples work?

Household thermocouples work based on the principles of thermoelectricity. When there is a difference in temperature between the two ends of the thermocouple, it creates a small voltage due to the Seebeck effect. This voltage is then measured and converted into a temperature reading, which is displayed on the device.

3. What are the benefits of using household thermocouples?

There are several benefits of using household thermocouples, including their small size, accuracy, and durability. They can be easily installed in various household appliances to monitor temperature and can provide precise readings. They are also resistant to high temperatures and can withstand harsh environments, making them ideal for use in household settings.

4. How are household thermocouples different from regular thermometers?

Household thermocouples and regular thermometers work on different principles. Regular thermometers use a liquid, such as mercury, to measure temperature, while household thermocouples use the Seebeck effect to measure temperature. Additionally, household thermocouples tend to be more accurate and can measure a wider range of temperatures compared to regular thermometers.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using household thermocouples?

While household thermocouples are generally safe to use, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind. As they use electricity to measure temperature, there is a small risk of electric shock if the device is damaged or not installed properly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and use, and to regularly check the device for any signs of damage.