Rebuilding Math Skills to Become a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineer

In summary: It sounds like the costs might be a bit high, but it would be worth it to you to attend a community college and get started.
Septenary
I would love to learn math and become a great mechanical / aerospace engineer, but there is one huge problem! I dropped my math classes in the 10th grade because I was an idiot. Years ago I didn't want to learn math, I hated it but now I love learning. I love challenges, learning is truly my passion. Where can I start learning Algebra and Calculus again? I'm expected to enter school this year (I also have to take my SATs this year). Do you guys think I can learn these maths in about a month or 2? Any websites that can help? Any books, videos?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful to have an idea of what level of Calculus and Algebra you need. I can however refer you to a few resources that I find helpful to this day (2nd year Engineering Student).
The type of math you can expect:
1) Calculus 1: Differentiation, Basic introduction to Integration, Types of functions.
2) Calculus 2: Integration Techniques, Parametrisation of curves ,etc.
3) Calculus 3: Line Integrals, Integrals in 3D, etc.
4) Linear Algebra: Solving systems of equations using matrices, Complex Numbers, etc.

The content might not exactly be the same but I'm guessing that a lot of the stuff is covered in a similar way.

Videos:
PatrickJMT - You've probably already heard of him, if not just google and you can access his videos from either youtube or his website. The most helpful math videos in my opinion. Also he gets the ideas across nicely and quickly.
KhanAcademy - I need not even be mentioning this, by far the most popular learning resource on the internet as of this moment.
MathTutorDVD - You have to buy the DVDs but I found the method of teaching here to be very simple and helpful.

Textbooks:
Stewart Caculus: Early Transcendentals (Currently using this textbook for Calc 3 and used it for Calc 1 and 2, really good textbook).

Likes Septenary
Septenary said:
I would love to learn math and become a great mechanical / aerospace engineer, but there is one huge problem! I dropped my math classes in the 10th grade because I was an idiot. Years ago I didn't want to learn math, I hated it but now I love learning. I love challenges, learning is truly my passion. Where can I start learning Algebra and Calculus again? I'm expected to enter school this year (I also have to take my SATs this year). Do you guys think I can learn these maths in about a month or 2? Any websites that can help? Any books, videos?
You can learn such things, but NOT in a month or two. Go to your local community college or adult school and ask for their advice and assessment. Start at the level the councelor and advisement tell you. If the say, "Basic Mathematics", or "Pre-Algebra", or "Introductory Algebra", then do it! You might need to work hard in every one of your Math classes, but you will start wherever necessary, and work upward. Eventually you will reach Trigonometry and Calculus.

symbolipoint said:
You can learn such things, but NOT in a month or two. Go to your local community college or adult school and ask for their advice and assessment. Start at the level the councelor and advisement tell you. If the say, "Basic Mathematics", or "Pre-Algebra", or "Introductory Algebra", then do it! You might need to work hard in every one of your Math classes, but you will start wherever necessary, and work upward. Eventually you will reach Trigonometry and Calculus.

I just looked up community colleges in my area, but none seem to have mathematically focused programs.

Update: there is one, its called CCAC but its $10K. This is what they offer: https://www.ccac.edu/Mathematics_and_Sciences.aspx

Last edited:
Septenary said:
I just looked up community colleges in my area, but none seem to have mathematically focused programs.

Update: there is one, its called CCAC but its $10K. This is what they offer: https://www.ccac.edu/Mathematics_and_Sciences.aspx
Look at the specific mathematics courses which the local community college offers. You do not need a highly focused program at the start, but you could move to one when your academic mathematical knowledge puts you ready.

Septenary said:

The website shows a Physics degree program and lists Cacluluses one through three, and a linear algebra. Being a community college, the Math department MUST have the less advanced courses too. Check directly with the college. Nothing seemed shown in the website.

$10000 per year even for a full-time course load seems too high for a c.c. Is that what the costs are like in that geographic area?

Septenary said:

I don't know how you arrived at $10,000 for CC tuition. Here is a list of fees and tuition for CCAC:

https://www.ccac.edu/payment/

According to the table, a resident of Allegheny Co. can take up to 19 credits at a flat rate of about $1600 a semester. Out of state students would pay about $4800.
Twelve credits or more is equivalent to being a full-time student, according to the school.

symbolipoint said:
The website shows a Physics degree program and lists Cacluluses one through three, and a linear algebra. Being a community college, the Math department MUST have the less advanced courses too.
Look at the math course listings that start on page 260 of their https://www.ccac.edu/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=35613 (PDF file). It includes e.g. Arithmetic Fundamentals, Algebra Fundamentals, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-calculus, College Trigonometry...

jtbell said:
Look at the math course listings that start on page 260 of their https://www.ccac.edu/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=35613 (PDF file). It includes e.g. Arithmetic Fundamentals, Algebra Fundamentals, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-calculus, College Trigonometry...
That as expected. This is good for a community college.

1. How important is math in becoming a mechanical/aerospace engineer?

Math is an essential component of being a mechanical/aerospace engineer. In order to design and analyze complex systems and structures, engineers must have a strong foundation in mathematics. It is used in every aspect of the design and development process, from calculations and simulations to problem-solving and critical thinking.

2. What specific math skills are necessary for a career in mechanical/aerospace engineering?

Some of the most important math skills for mechanical/aerospace engineers include algebra, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry. Engineers also need to have a strong grasp of differential equations, linear algebra, and numerical methods for solving complex problems.

3. How can I improve my math skills for a career in mechanical/aerospace engineering?

The best way to improve math skills for a career in mechanical/aerospace engineering is through practice and repetition. It is also helpful to take advanced math courses in high school and college, as well as seek out internships or research opportunities that involve math-intensive projects.

4. Is it possible to become a successful mechanical/aerospace engineer without strong math skills?

While it is possible to become a mechanical/aerospace engineer without strong math skills, it would be extremely difficult. In order to excel in the field and be competitive in the job market, a strong foundation in math is necessary. However, with dedication and hard work, it is possible to improve math skills and become a successful engineer.

5. Are there any resources available to help improve math skills for mechanical/aerospace engineering?

Yes, there are many resources available to help improve math skills for mechanical/aerospace engineering. These include online tutorials, practice problems, math software, and tutoring services. It is also helpful to seek guidance and advice from professors, mentors, and other professionals in the field.