New to STR, trying to confirm my understanding

• Thread starter vibhuav
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment involving two particles moving away from each other at a velocity of 1.8c, with no information exchange between them. The question is asked about the speed of one particle relative to the other, and whether relativistic velocity addition needs to be used. Ultimately, it is determined that the relativistic velocity addition formula can be used to determine the coordinates of each particle's path in different frames of reference.
vibhuav
I am trying to learn STR on my own, from various real textbooks (not the ones for layman). I would like to check my understanding with the following thought experiment. Can someone please confirm if I am correct, or if not, what am I doing wrong? Thanks…

Consider the following:

An stationery observer shoots a particle to the left at a velocity of 0.9c. Immediately following this, independent of the first particle, he shoots another particle to the right at a velocity of 0.9c. So for the observer, the two particles are separating at a velocity of 1.8c. This, I think, is OK and there is no violation of the max speed postulate of STR. The two particles are simply separating apart at a speed of 1.8c and there is no information exchange between them. There is no information being sent at a velocity greater than c. The left and right particles which are carrying information from the observer, themselves are going at velocities of 0.9c, which is still less than c.

Now consider the left particle. What is the speed of the right particle wrt left? Remember they were shot out independent of each other.

I think from the left particle viewpoint also, the right particle is moving at a velocity of 1.8c. We do not have to use the relativistic addition of velocities because the right particle did not jump off of the left particles – the two particles are independent of each other. Again, since the right particle was shot out independent of the left, there is no information exchange between the left and right particles. So the right particle can indeed move at 1.8c wrt the left particle without violating the max speed postulate of STR.

Am I right or did I totally make a fool of myself?

If I am wrong, and I had to use the relativistic addition of velocities, then the right particle will be moving at a velocity of 0.99c wrt left. But now, there will be a paradox:

The stationery observer will calculate the distance between the left and right particle in 1 sec to be 1.8c. But the left particle, in 1 sec, will calculate that the right particle is at a distance of 0.99c.

Physics news on Phys.org
vibhuav said:
I am trying to learn STR on my own, from various real textbooks (not the ones for layman). I would like to check my understanding with the following thought experiment. Can someone please confirm if I am correct, or if not, what am I doing wrong? Thanks…

Consider the following:

An stationery observer shoots a particle to the left at a velocity of 0.9c. Immediately following this, independent of the first particle, he shoots another particle to the right at a velocity of 0.9c. So for the observer, the two particles are separating at a velocity of 1.8c. This, I think, is OK and there is no violation of the max speed postulate of STR. The two particles are simply separating apart at a speed of 1.8c and there is no information exchange between them. There is no information being sent at a velocity greater than c. The left and right particles which are carrying information from the observer, themselves are going at velocities of 0.9c, which is still less than c.
Yes, that's right, 1.8c is sometimes called the "closing speed" or "closing velocity" (because if the two particles were moving towards each other rather than away from each other, the observer in the middle would measure the distance between them to be closing at a rate of 1.8c)
vibhuav said:
Now consider the left particle. What is the speed of the right particle wrt left? Remember they were shot out independent of each other.

I think from the left particle viewpoint also, the right particle is moving at a velocity of 1.8c. We do not have to use the relativistic addition of velocities because the right particle did not jump off of the left particles – the two particles are independent of each other. Again, since the right particle was shot out independent of the left, there is no information exchange between the left and right particles. So the right particle can indeed move at 1.8c wrt the left particle without violating the max speed postulate of STR.

Am I right or did I totally make a fool of myself?
Relativistic velocity addition doesn't have anything to do with any physical details about the object aside from their velocities, it doesn't matter whether one jumped off the other or what. It's just a matter of transforming the coordinates of each object's path from one inertial frame to another (the velocity addition formula can be derived from the Lorentz transformation which tells you how two different frames assign space and time coordinates to the same event).
vibhuav said:
If I am wrong, and I had to use the relativistic addition of velocities, then the right particle will be moving at a velocity of 0.99c wrt left. But now, there will be a paradox:

The stationery observer will calculate the distance between the left and right particle in 1 sec to be 1.8c. But the left particle, in 1 sec, will calculate that the right particle is at a distance of 0.99c.
Suppose in the stationary observer's frame, both particles start at position x=0 at time t=0. Then one second later in this frame, the left particle is at x=-0.9 light-second at t=1 second, and the right particle is at x=0.9 l.s. at t=1 s. Suppose at this moment each particle changes color, so then we can ask where and when the events of the two particles changing color happened in other frames. If we want to look at the coordinates of any event in the frame of the right particle, and we know the coordinates of this event x,t in the frame of the stationary observer, then the coordinates x',t' in the right particle's frame are given by the Lorentz transform:

x' = gamma*(x - vt)
t' = gamma*(t - vx/c^2)
where gamma = [tex]1/\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}[/tex] and v is the velocity of the right particle in the stationary observer's frame. Since v=0.9c, gamma = 2.294

So, for the event of the left particle changing color, which has coordinatex x=-0.9 and t=1 in the stationary frame (in units where c=1), we have:

x' = 2.294*(-0.9 - 0.9*1) = 2.294*(-1.8) = -4.13
t' = 2.294*(1 - 0.9*-0.9) = 2.294*(1.81) = 4.15

And for the event of the right particle changing color, which has coordinates x=0.9 and t=1 in the stationary frame, we have:

x' = 2.294*(0.9 - 0.9*1) = 0
t' = 2.294*(1 - 0.9*0.9) = 2.294*(0.19) = 0.436

So you can see that although the events of the two particles changing color happened simultaneously at t=1 in the stationary frame when the two particles were 1.8 ls apart in this frame, in the right particle's frame these events were not simultaneous, a feature of known as the relativity of simultaneity. Also, if you think in terms of time dilation, it makes sense that these events happened when they did in the right particle's frame. In the stationary frame, both particles were moving at 0.9c so clocks attached to these particles would be slowed down by a factor of [tex]\sqrt{1 - 0.9^2}[/tex] = 0.436. So, after 1 second of time in the stationary frame, each particle's clock has only ticked 0.436 seconds, so each particle's clock should read 0.436 seconds at the time it changes color. In the right particle's frame, the right particle is at rest, so its clock is ticking normally in this frame, meaning it should read 0.436 seconds at coordinate time t'=0.436 which is what was found above using the Lorentz transformation. And in this frame the left particle is moving at 1.8c/1.81 = 0.9945c, so in this frame its clock is slowed down by [tex]\sqrt{1 - 0.9945^2}[/tex] = 0.105, meaning it should take 0.436/0.105 = 4.15 seconds for its clock to tick 0.436 seconds in this frame. So, the left particle should change color at t'=4.15 seconds in this frame, which is also what was found above using the Lorentz transformation.

Your understanding of STR and the thought experiment is correct. The two particles are independent of each other and there is no information exchange between them, so the speed of the right particle relative to the left can indeed be 1.8c without violating the max speed postulate.

You do not need to use the relativistic addition of velocities in this scenario because the particles are not moving in the same reference frame. The relativistic addition of velocities is only necessary when the velocities are measured in the same reference frame.

There is no paradox in this scenario because the two particles are not measuring the distance between each other in the same reference frame. The stationary observer is measuring the distance between the two particles in their own reference frame, while the left particle is measuring the distance in its own reference frame. This difference in measurement is due to the relativity of simultaneity in STR.

In conclusion, you have a good understanding of STR and the thought experiment you presented is a valid way to confirm your understanding. Keep up the good work!

Related to New to STR, trying to confirm my understanding

1. What is STR and why is it important in scientific research?

STR stands for short tandem repeats, which are repeating sequences of DNA that vary in length between individuals. They are important in scientific research because they are highly variable and can be used to distinguish between individuals, making them useful for genetic testing and identification purposes.

2. How do you confirm your understanding of a concept or topic in science?

To confirm your understanding of a concept or topic in science, it is important to review the relevant literature or research articles, discuss with colleagues or experts in the field, and perform experiments or simulations to test your understanding. Asking questions and seeking feedback can also help to confirm your understanding.

3. What are some common misconceptions about STR and how can they be addressed?

One common misconception about STR is that they are unique to each individual, when in fact they are inherited from our parents and can be shared among relatives. This can be addressed by educating people about the inheritance patterns of STR and the need to use multiple markers for accurate identification.

4. Is there a difference between STR and microsatellites?

While both STR and microsatellites are types of short tandem repeats, there is a slight difference in their length. Microsatellites are generally shorter, with 1-6 base pair repeats, while STRs are longer, with 2-13 base pair repeats.

5. How are STR used in forensic science?

STRs are used in forensic science for DNA profiling, which is used to identify individuals or determine biological relationships. By comparing the STR profiles of an individual to a database or to other samples, forensic scientists can identify suspects or link individuals to a crime scene.