Can a Peltier from a Computer Light a 100W Bulb?

• Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a peltier to light a 100 W light bulb from the heat produced by a computer. It is mentioned that a peltier may not be able to generate enough power for a light bulb, but it could potentially power a LED. The temperature difference across the device is also mentioned as a factor in its effectiveness. It is also noted that there are cordless electric fans and sterling engines that operate using the Seebeck effect. However, using a peltier on a computer's processor may cause it to overheat.
Physics_wiz
I'm just a freshman in college (not an EE major) and I got a small question.

I read about peltiers and how they work, but I just wanted to ask if you think it's possible to buy a peltier, attach it to somewhere hot in my computer and light a 100 W light bulb from it. Do computers get hot enough to make a peltier light a 100 W light bulb? Anyone know how hot I will need to make the peltier to get this amount of power?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Certainly not a 100 W light bulb, but you might get enough to light a led.
Also it is not how hot but the temperature difference across the device.
You could melt one without getting any power at all.

Thanks, you saved me some money there! :biggrin:

The Seebeck effect, says that heat can be directly converted to electricity, if the peltier got hot enough, you'd get some electricity out of that.

It may or may not be the same thing, but there's a cordless, no battery electric fan designed to sit directly on a wood stove. It has an aluminum heat sink at the top to create a temperature difference across the active device. As the stove gets hotter the fan speeds up to blow the heat around. It's not very powerfull, more of a novelty.

wire2 said:
It may or may not be the same thing, but there's a cordless, no battery electric fan designed to sit directly on a wood stove. It has an aluminum heat sink at the top to create a temperature difference across the active device. As the stove gets hotter the fan speeds up to blow the heat around. It's not very powerfull, more of a novelty.

There may be more than one, but the fan like that I'm thinking of is powered by a sterling engine.

Hmm, wire2 said it was an 'electric' fan in which case it could be a peltier driven thing rather than a sterling engine, but those sterling ones which run off the heat of your hand are pretty cool...

Hold on a sec - the only place on your computer where you would get enough heat for this to be useful is on the processor itself. And doing so would make the processor run hotter. Not a good idea.

1. Can a Peltier from a Computer Light a 100W Bulb?

Yes, it is possible to use a Peltier from a computer to light a 100W bulb. However, it may not be the most efficient or practical method.

2. How does a Peltier from a Computer Work?

A Peltier from a computer works by utilizing the thermoelectric effect, which creates a temperature difference between two sides of the device when an electric current is applied. One side becomes hot and the other side becomes cold, allowing for heat to be transferred from one side to the other.

3. What materials are used in a Peltier from a Computer?

A Peltier from a computer typically consists of semiconductor materials such as bismuth telluride or lead telluride. These materials have a high Seebeck coefficient, which is essential for efficient thermoelectric conversion.

4. What are the limitations of using a Peltier from a Computer to light a 100W bulb?

One limitation is that a Peltier from a computer may not be able to generate enough electricity to power a 100W bulb for an extended period of time. Additionally, the efficiency of the Peltier device may decrease over time due to wear and tear.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a Peltier from a Computer to power a 100W bulb?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns when using a Peltier from a computer to power a 100W bulb. The device may generate a significant amount of heat, so proper ventilation and cooling measures should be taken. Additionally, the electrical current passing through the device may pose a risk of shock or fire if not handled properly.