Newbie here: antiderivative for a trig function

In summary, paretoptimal was looking for advice on how to solve an equation involving the derivative of x sin x. He found that he could solve the equation using the product rule if he had learned partial integration.
paretoptimal
Greetings,

Sure wish I found this forum like two years ago! Anyways, as my cherry-popping post I shall seek knowledge for the fore-going:

The anti-derivative for xcos(x)?

I was able to do (2x)cos(x^2) = sin(x^2), but xcos(x) has boggled me. I am not seeing it.
Can anyone give me the answer and a good strategy/rule of thumb for tackling similar anti-derivatives?

Thanks a million!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, paretoptimal!

There is a specific method to take the antiderivative of the function you've shown. Have you studied integration by parts?

If no, I suggest you first read the following article to understand what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

If yes, set u equal to the diminishing term and dv equal to the non-diminishing term. This should be pretty obvious to do.

l46kok said:
Welcome to PF, paretoptimal!

There is a specific method to take the antiderivative of the function you've shown. Have you studied integration by parts?

If no, I suggest you first read the following article to understand what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

If yes, set u equal to the diminishing term and dv equal to the non-diminishing term. This should be pretty obvious to do.

Thanks for the info, l46kok! We haven't gone over integration by parts in my calc class. I should probably re-clarify my post. The whole equation was: sinx + xcosx. I anti-derived the first term as (-)cosx. It is the second which is giving me problems. Perhaps the whole equation can be anti-derived as a single term? I am not sure. But I don't think I should attempt solving this by using tools I haven't been endowed with yet.

Thanks again!

Actually, the longer expression makes it easier to solve :smile:
For, what is the derivative of (x sin x) ?

As a small aside, which is not really relevant for the question but since the term partial integration has already been dropped, it might interest you: Observe that the key here lies in the product rule. In general, if you have an integrand of the form f'(x) g(x) + g(x) f'(x) you can write this as the derivative of f(x) g(x), and the idea of partial integration is based on this.

(By the way, before you ask me how the hell I ever thought of this :smile: -- if you haven't learned partial integration yet, I wouldn't really know how to solve this formally. It's just a lot of training and a little luck that allowed me to recognize sin(x) + x cos(x) as a derivative)

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
Actually, the longer expression makes it easier to solve :smile:
For, what is the derivative of (x sin x) ?

As a small aside, which is not really relevant for the question but since the term partial integration has already been dropped, it might interest you: Observe that the key here lies in the product rule. In general, if you have an integrand of the form f'(x) g(x) + g(x) f'(x) you can write this as the derivative of f(x) g(x), and the idea of partial integration is based on this.

(By the way, before you ask me how the hell I ever thought of this :smile: -- if you haven't learned partial integration yet, I wouldn't really know how to solve this formally. It's just a lot of training and a little luck that allowed me to recognize sin(x) + x cos(x) as a derivative)

Beautiful, CompuChip, I should have used reverse psychology on that equation. If I see an equation like that again, I will think of the "reverse product rule". I totally see it!

What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative, which means it is a function that can be differentiated to give the original function.

Why is finding the antiderivative important?

Finding the antiderivative allows us to solve problems involving rates of change and to find the original function from its derivative. It is also an essential tool in integration, which is used in many areas of mathematics and science.

What is a trigonometric function?

A trigonometric function is a mathematical function that relates the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. Examples of trigonometric functions include sine, cosine, and tangent.

How do you find the antiderivative of a trigonometric function?

To find the antiderivative of a trigonometric function, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The specific method used will depend on the form of the trigonometric function.

Can you provide an example of finding the antiderivative of a trigonometric function?

Sure! Let's find the antiderivative of f(x) = sin(x). Using the substitution method, we can let u = x, du = dx. This gives us the integral of sin(u)du, which is -cos(u) + C. Substituting back in for u, we get -cos(x) + C as the antiderivative of sin(x).