1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newbie here: antiderivative for a trig function

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    Greetings,

Sure wish I found this forum like two years ago! Anyways, as my cherry-popping post I shall seek knowledge for the fore-going:

The anti-derivative for xcos(x)?

I was able to do (2x)cos(x^2) = sin(x^2), but xcos(x) has boggled me. I am not seeing it.
    Can anyone give me the answer and a good strategy/rule of thumb for tackling similar anti-derivatives?

Thanks a million!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2
    Welcome to PF, paretoptimal!

There is a specific method to take the antiderivative of the function you've shown. Have you studied integration by parts?

If no, I suggest you first read the following article to understand what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

If yes, set u equal to the diminishing term and dv equal to the non-diminishing term. This should be pretty obvious to do.

4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the info, l46kok! We haven't gone over integration by parts in my calc class. I should probably re-clarify my post. The whole equation was: sinx + xcosx. I anti-derived the first term as (-)cosx. It is the second which is giving me problems. Perhaps the whole equation can be anti-derived as a single term? I am not sure. But I don't think I should attempt solving this by using tools I haven't been endowed with yet.

Thanks again!

5. Nov 16, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, the longer expression makes it easier to solve :smile:
    For, what is the derivative of (x sin x) ?

As a small aside, which is not really relevant for the question but since the term partial integration has already been dropped, it might interest you: Observe that the key here lies in the product rule. In general, if you have an integrand of the form f'(x) g(x) + g(x) f'(x) you can write this as the derivative of f(x) g(x), and the idea of partial integration is based on this.

(By the way, before you ask me how the hell I ever thought of this :smile: -- if you haven't learned partial integration yet, I wouldn't really know how to solve this formally. It's just a lot of training and a little luck that allowed me to recognize sin(x) + x cos(x) as a derivative)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  6. Nov 16, 2007 #5

Beautiful, CompuChip, I shoulda used reverse psychology on that equation. If I see an equation like that again, I will think of the "reverse product rule". I totally see it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?