Newbie needs basic help with magnitude slope

In summary, the conversation is about a driving experiment where the instantaneous speed was recorded every 10 seconds and plotted on a graph. The goal is to calculate the magnitude of the maximum slope and compare it to the rate of acceleration due to gravity. The formula used for calculation is rise over run, and the resulting units can be in km/h, m/s, or m/s^2, representing acceleration. The calculated acceleration rate is less than that of gravity, but it is not specified in terms of g's.
urbano

Homework Statement

I have done an experiment where every 10 seconds I had to say my instantaneous speed while drivng a car and my co-passenger would record the time (we carried this out over 20 minutes). I then plotted this out on a graph with time (s) on the X axis and km/h on the Y axis.

I now need to calculate the magnitude of the maximum slope and then make a comparison statement about my result vs. the rate of acceleration due to gravity. ...and to be honest this is all new to me and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

Homework Equations

This is what I went with

y1= 0km/h, y2=50km/h, x1= 0s, x2= 10s. I then used rise over run (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
but I'm not sure if this is the right formula or what you'd call the resulting units...km/h or maybe convert to m/s or m/s^2 ? and I'm not sure what it represents ? Acceleration (change of velocity/ time)??

The Attempt at a Solution

50-0/10-0 = 5 (somethings) ...then I thought maybe 50km/h should be put into m/s which I came up with 13.88 m/s...meaning (13.88 m/s) /( 10s) = 1.38 m/s or maybe it should be 1.38 ms^2.

so when i then compare this to the acceleration rate due to gravity (9.8m/s^2). I will make a statement my acceleration rate is less than that of gravity.

Any help anyone is willing to offer wold be most appreciated.

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
urbano said:
y1= 0km/h, y2=50km/h, x1= 0s, x2= 10s. I then used rise over run (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
but I'm not sure if this is the right formula or what you'd call the resulting units...km/h or maybe convert to m/s or m/s^2 ? and I'm not sure what it represents ? Acceleration (change of velocity/ time)??
Yes, acceleration. It's useful to keep track of units by keeping them in the equations:
50km/h / 10s = 5 km/h/s = 5000 m/h/s = 5000/3600 m/s2
so when i then compare this to the acceleration rate due to gravity (9.8m/s^2). I will make a statement my acceleration rate is less than that of gravity.
My guess is that you are expected to say how many g's it is.

cool, thanks for the help. We haven't touched on g's yet...(I don't think) . We are at are 101 stage for those with little or no background,so I imagine the g's may be not be too far off.

Related to Newbie needs basic help with magnitude slope

1. What is magnitude slope?

Magnitude slope is a measure of the steepness of a line on a graph. It is calculated by dividing the change in the y-values by the change in the x-values between two points on the line. This value is often represented as "m" in the slope-intercept form of a linear equation (y = mx + b).

2. How is magnitude slope calculated?

Magnitude slope is calculated by dividing the change in the y-values by the change in the x-values between two points on a line. This can be represented as (y2-y1) / (x2-x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points on the line.

3. What does a positive magnitude slope indicate?

A positive magnitude slope indicates that the line is increasing from left to right. This means that as the x-value increases, the y-value also increases. The steeper the slope, the greater the rate of increase.

4. What does a negative magnitude slope indicate?

A negative magnitude slope indicates that the line is decreasing from left to right. This means that as the x-value increases, the y-value decreases. The steeper the slope, the greater the rate of decrease.

5. How is magnitude slope used in real life?

Magnitude slope is commonly used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it can be used to calculate the velocity of an object based on its position over time. In engineering, it can be used to design roads, buildings, and other structures. In economics, it can be used to analyze trends in data and make predictions about future outcomes.