1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's 2nd Law Question PHYCS110

1. May 20, 2004 #1
    Hey everyone~

A 2.0 kg toy locomotive is pulling a 1.0 kg caboose. The frictional force of the track on the caboose is 0.50 N backward along the track. Of the train is accelerating foward at 3.0 m/s^2, what is the magnitude of the force exerted by the locomotive on the caboose?

So I'm guessing that I use the equation: F = ma, but I'm not sure how to get started. The answer in the back of the book is: 3.5 N. Thanks for your input~David.W

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]F_{net}\ =\ ma[/tex]

Now, you know the mass. Also, you know the acceleration of the train, so it should be pretty obvious as to what the acceleration of the caboose is. (Think about it, if my body is accelerating at X, then what would be the acceleration of my head, arm, finger... ?) So, you should be able to find the net force on the train. Since the train is accelerating parallel to the ground, find the net forces acting on the caboose in the direction parallel to the ground. What are these forces? Figure them out, and set up an equation to find the force exerted by the engine on the caboose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?