Solving for Distance of Crate on Level Floor with Given Force & Time

In summary, a 29.8kg crate with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.338 is pushed horizontally with a force of 188.535 N. Using Newton's second law and the formula for displacement, the crate moves a distance of 109.43 meters in 5.88 seconds. However, this answer may not be correct as the weight of the crate and normal reaction must be taken into account to find the resultant force and solve for displacement.
klr872
A 29.8kg crate is at rest on a level floor, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.338. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s. if the crate is pushed horizontally with a force of 188.535 N, how far does it move in 5.88 seconds?

i really need help with this...thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
So use Newton2 law's formulae: F=ma; s=(at^2)/2

so i did 188.535= (29.8) (A)
A= 6.33

D=(6.33)(5.88)^2 /2
=109.43

but that's not the right answer i don't know what I am doing wrong

The weight of the box is 29.8*9.81= (*)N
therefore the normal reaction,R= (*) N

the frictional force=uR where u=coefficient of friction.

find the resultant force and then equate that to ma

What is the formula for solving for distance of a crate on a level floor with a given force and time?

The formula for solving for distance in this scenario is: distance = (force * time^2) / (2 * mass).

What units should be used for force, time, and mass in the formula?

Force should be measured in Newtons (N), time in seconds (s), and mass in kilograms (kg).

How does the mass of the crate affect the distance it travels?

The mass of the crate directly affects the distance it travels. A heavier crate will require more force and time to travel the same distance as a lighter crate. This is because the mass is in the denominator of the formula, meaning that as the mass increases, the distance traveled decreases.

Can this formula be applied to crates on any type of surface?

No, this formula is specifically for crates on a level floor. Different surfaces, such as inclines or rough terrain, will require different formulas to calculate distance traveled.

Is there a limit to the amount of force that can be applied to the crate?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of force that can be applied to the crate. This is known as the maximum static friction force, and it is determined by the coefficient of friction between the crate and the floor. If the applied force exceeds this limit, the crate will start to slide rather than move with a constant velocity.