Calculating Mass Using Newton's Laws

• Thread starter Beretta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, a particle of mass m is traveling at an initial speed v0=25.0m/s. When a net force of 15.0N acts on it, it comes to a stop in a distance of 62.5m. To calculate the mass, we can use the formula V^2=Vo^2+2ax and solve for m. Alternatively, we can use the formula F=MA to find the mass, which is 3 kg. Another method is to set up equations using the given information and solve for m, which also gives a mass of 62.5 kg.
Beretta
A particle of mass m is traveling at an initial speed v0=25.0m/s.
When a net force of 15.0N acts on it, it comes to a stop in a distance of 62.5m. What is m?

I don't know how to get the accelration since I don't have the time t, so I can calculate the mass.

May you please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer... Hopefully

Alright let me see if I can help you out at all

well since V^2=Vo^2+2ax
V^2=0
Vo=25
x=62.5

Therefore 0=25^2+2a62.5
Therefore -625=2a62.5
Therefore a=-5m/s^2

Then I think you can do

F=MA

15=5*M
m=3 kg then I belive.

Here's another way to do it, admittedly harder because it doesn't assume that formula, V^2=Vo^2+2ax, Tom McCurdy gave you.

The force is -15N so, with mass m, the acceleration is a= -15/m.
(I'm taking the force to be negative since it stops the motion.)

The initial speed is 25 so, at any time t, the speed is
25- (15/m)t.

The distance moved in time t is 25t- (15/2m)t2.

When the object stops, the speed is 25- (15/m)t= 0 and the distance is 25t- (15/2m)t2= 62.5.

You now have two equations to solve for m and t. Since you were specifically asked for m, it might be simplest to rewrite
25-(15/m)t= 0 as (15/m)t= 25 so t= (25/15)m= (5/3)m. Now put that into the second equation: 25(5/3)m- (15/2m)(25/9)m2= 62.5 which is the same as (125/3)m- (125/6)m= (125/6)m= 62.5 kg.

Let me tell you the key to answering problems:

1. eat a hogie

2. do a little dance

3. sing some Van Halen

4. answer the prob

works for me every time

What is Newton's first law?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the difference between Newton's first and second law?

Newton's first law deals with the concept of inertia, while his second law deals with the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the force applied to it. Essentially, the first law explains what happens to objects when no forces act upon them, while the second law explains the forces that cause changes in an object's motion.

What is the formula for Newton's second law?

The formula for Newton's second law is F = ma, where F represents the force applied to an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration.

Can Newton's first and second law be applied to all objects?

Yes, Newton's first and second law can be applied to all objects, regardless of their size or shape. However, these laws may not accurately describe the behavior of objects at very high speeds or on a microscopic level.

How are Newton's first and second law used in real life?

Newton's first and second law are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. They are used to calculate the forces and motion of objects, design structures and machines, and understand the movements of athletes and vehicles.