Newton's Forces - Block Down An Incline

In summary, the two blocks of same mass on the sides are pushed away from the center block by the bigger block. The bigger block is also pushed away from the center block by the forces of gravity and kinetic friction.
meganw
[a]1. Homework Statement [/b]

The block shown in Fig. 5-27 lies on a smooth plane tilted at an angle = 25.5° to the horizontal, with µk = 0.17.

5-27.gif

Figure 5-27

(a) Determine the acceleration of the block as it slides down the plane.
________ m/s2 (down the plane)
(b) If the block starts from rest 9.50 m up the plane from its base, what will be the block's speed when it reaches the bottom of the incline?
_________ m/s

Homework Equations

F=m(a)
Ff=Mk(N)

[c]3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]

I drew a Vector Diagram so that gravity was pointing directly downward from the box, so that means that the Fg vector is at an angle of -64.5 from the Horizontal, (or 25.5 degrees from the Y axis, whichever you prefer!), and then so Fg has horizontal and Vertical components.

Fy(net)=m(a)=Fa+Fgx-Ff
Ff=.17(Fnormal)

? I'm very confused..it seems like I need to know the mass to solve the problem, but the other half of me doesn't even know where to begin.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to break down the forces into components just as you said.
forces in the Y direction will be mgcos(theta)-Normal Force=0 since the box is not rising or sinking.

This tells you that mgcos(theta) is therefore equal to normal force.

Now forces in the X direction will be mgsin(theta)-Kinetic Friction=ma (it equals ma since it is moving)

We know that kinetic friction = Normal force*friction coefficient (by definition). We also know from above that normal force is equal to mgcos(theta).

So continuing to solve forces in the X direction - you will have mgsin(theta)-force of kintetic friction=ma. Here we will use mgcos(theta) to stand in for normal force.

mgsin(theta)-mgcos(theta)(0.17)=ma

now notice how the masses will cancel since they are on both sides.

gsin(theta)-gcos(theta)(0.17)=a

edit: I think your confusion might come from a weakness in drawing clear free body diagrams. I will try and sketch one for you in a paint program.

Last edited:
Hope this isn't too confusing. I am not a graphic artist.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/686/fbdue2.gif

The key point is that when you draw the mgsin(theta) force - make sure it is parallel to the slope. Some beginners draw it as a flat 90 degree line and they can't visualize the forces correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! Wow, you helped me so much! I got the answer right on the first try! =) (the acceleration is 2.715 by the way).

I realized what I did wrong, by the way. I didn't realize that the forces in the Y direction equaled zero, although I should have. And I was discouraged by the fact that we didn't know mass, but it ended up canceling out at the end. Thanks again! =)

I even got the 2nd part too: it was 7.18 by the way. ;)

Thanks again Bob! You were great!

Glad I could help.

I want to know about the Forces acting on each other; for 3 blocks sitting side by side
on a frictionless leveled table top. 2 blocks on the sides are of same mass. The one on the middle is bigger than the tow on the sides.

1. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does Newton's second law of motion apply to "block down an incline"?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of a block moving down an incline, the force of gravity (its weight) and the normal force from the incline determine the net force and therefore the acceleration of the block.

3. What is the equation for calculating the force of gravity on a block down an incline?

The equation for calculating the force of gravity on a block down an incline is Fg = mg sinθ, where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the block, and θ is the angle of the incline.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the force of gravity on a block?

The angle of the incline affects the force of gravity on a block because the force of gravity is dependent on the angle of the incline. As the angle increases, the force of gravity acting on the block also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration down the incline.

5. How does friction play a role in "block down an incline"?

Friction plays a role in "block down an incline" by acting in the opposite direction of motion, slowing down the block's acceleration. Friction is dependent on the normal force and the coefficient of friction between the block and the incline's surface. As the angle of the incline increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a decrease in friction and therefore a greater acceleration down the incline.