Newton's Law of Cooling (Calculating Time of Death)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
JacksonSolo
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The problem states that you discovered the body at 1pm Thursday in a freezer where the temperature was 10F. Temperature of the corpse at discovery was 40F. I have to find how many hours ago the victim died.

Homework Equations



You are given the formula T = Ta + (98.6 - Ta)(0.97)^t where Ta is air temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution



So I plugged the numbers in: 40 = 10 + (98.6-10)(0.97)^t but I have no idea how to solve for t. Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Move the constants to one side and take logs on both sides you should get:

[tex]t log(0.97) = log \frac{30}{88.6}[/tex]

Evaluate that for t.
 
Ok so I get the log of 30/88.6 and divide that by the log of 0.97 to get t, which equals 35.55 hours. Did I do that right?
 
Im just looking for confirmation i solved the problem right.
 
It appears correct to me. But the answer is actually... 1:45 am on Wednesday?
 
Last edited: