How Do You Calculate Initial Temperature Using Newton's Law of Cooling?

In summary: Then, use that value to solve for the initial temperature, b.In summary, the problem involves finding the initial temperature of an object placed in a room with a fixed temperature, based on the given temperature readings at two different time intervals. The equations used are y(t) = b + Ce^(-kt) and dy/dt = -k(y-b). By setting up and solving equations using the given information, it is possible to find the constant values of k and C, and ultimately, the initial temperature of the object.
D-Boy

Homework Statement

A small object of unknown temperature was placed in a large room that had the fixed temperature 30 degrees C. After 10 minutes, the object's temperature is -10 degrees C, and after an additional 10 minutes, the object's temperature was -5 degrees C. What was the initial temperature of the object?

b = 30
When t = 10, y = -10
When t = 20, y = -5

Homework Equations

y(t) = b + Ce^(-kt)
dy/dt = -k(y - b)

The Attempt at a Solution

When I plug in the knowns of the variables I get either the equation:

-10 = 30 + Ce^(10k)
-or-
-5 = 30 + Ce^(20k)

I'm confused how I can find the constant k value and the constant C value when I'm not given the initial temperature. If someone can help me find either of the constant values I can probably work from there to finish the rest of the problem. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When I plug it in I get [tex]-10 = 30 + Ce^{-10k}, -5 = 30 + Ce^{-20k}[/tex]

Now, for each separate equation, take b to the other side, divide through by C, take a natural log, then divide by the coefficient of k. In short - Solve for k. You get two equations for k, set them equal to each other and simplify, you can solve for C. Once you solve for C, sub that into one equation and solve for k.

Related to How Do You Calculate Initial Temperature Using Newton's Law of Cooling?

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which an object cools when placed in a different temperature environment. It states that the rate of change of the temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between the object's temperature and the ambient temperature.

2. Who came up with Newton's Law of Cooling?

This law was formulated by Sir Isaac Newton, a famous physicist and mathematician, in the late 17th century. However, it was later refined and expanded upon by other scientists such as Joseph Fourier and Pierre-Simon Laplace.

3. What factors affect the rate of cooling according to Newton's Law?

The rate of cooling is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, the surface area of the object, and the thermal conductivity of the object's material.

4. How is Newton's Law of Cooling used in real life?

This law is commonly applied in various fields, such as meteorology, engineering, and food preservation. It is used to predict the cooling rate of objects and to design efficient cooling systems.

5. Can Newton's Law of Cooling be applied to objects that are heating up instead of cooling down?

Yes, this law can also be used to describe the heating process of objects. In this case, the rate of change of the temperature would be positive, indicating an increase in temperature instead of a decrease.