1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton’s law of motion for rotation clarification

1. Sep 24, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,
    I'm trying to work through a question but the solution we have been given is extremely vague. I can't seem to figure out what any of the values such as Beta or Tmax are. If I knew how to work those two out, I'm sure I'd be fine from there...

See attached image.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• pp1.png
      pp1.png
      File size:
      84.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It looks like T is the thrust from each motor, so ##T_{max}## would be the maximum thrust. And from Newton's 2nd law for rotation, Torque = I*alpha, you should be able to deduce what Beta is.

4. Sep 24, 2014 #3
    Well seeing as T1 is Tmax...(8N) I get Beta as 888.889...Not sure if it means both T1 and T2. Also what would be the value of t in the second equation at the bottom?

5. Sep 24, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful. What must the total thrust be so as to maintain the height? Also, what value of d are you using?

The purpose of that equation is to solve for ##t_1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted