Newton’s law of motion for rotation clarification

In summary, The conversation discusses a question and its solution, where the values of Beta and Tmax are unclear. The solution involves using Newton's 2nd law for rotation and deducing the values from the given information. The total thrust and value of d are also mentioned as important factors in solving the question.
Luchekv
Hey guys,
I'm trying to work through a question but the solution we have been given is extremely vague. I can't seem to figure out what any of the values such as Beta or Tmax are. If I knew how to work those two out, I'm sure I'd be fine from there...

See attached image.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• pp1.png
    pp1.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
Luchekv said:
Hey guys,
I'm trying to work through a question but the solution we have been given is extremely vague. I can't seem to figure out what any of the values such as Beta or Tmax are. If I knew how to work those two out, I'm sure I'd be fine from there...

See attached image.

Thanks in advance
It looks like T is the thrust from each motor, so ##T_{max}## would be the maximum thrust. And from Newton's 2nd law for rotation, Torque = I*alpha, you should be able to deduce what Beta is.

Well seeing as T1 is Tmax...(8N) I get Beta as 888.889...Not sure if it means both T1 and T2. Also what would be the value of t in the second equation at the bottom?

Luchekv said:
Well seeing as T1 is Tmax...(8N) I get Beta as 888.889...Not sure if it means both T1 and T2.
Careful. What must the total thrust be so as to maintain the height? Also, what value of d are you using?

Luchekv said:
Also what would be the value of t in the second equation at the bottom?
The purpose of that equation is to solve for ##t_1##.

Hello,

I understand your confusion about the values of Beta and Tmax in the solution you were given. To clarify, Beta represents the angular acceleration (change in rotational speed) and Tmax represents the maximum torque (force causing rotation) in Newton's law of motion for rotation. These values are important in understanding the rotational behavior of a body.

To find the values of Beta and Tmax, you will need to use the equations for rotational motion, which relate these values to other known quantities such as the mass, radius, and moment of inertia of the body. I suggest reviewing these equations and plugging in the given values in order to solve for Beta and Tmax.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of Newton's law of motion for rotation. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your question!

1. What is Newton's law of motion for rotation?

Newton's law of motion for rotation, also known as Newton's second law of rotation, states that the angular acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net torque acting on it and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. In simpler terms, it explains how a rotating object responds to external forces.

2. How is Newton's law of motion for rotation different from his other laws of motion?

Newton's law of motion for rotation specifically applies to objects that are rotating, while his other laws of motion apply to objects in linear motion. It also takes into account the object's moment of inertia, which is not considered in his other laws.

3. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration in Newton's law of motion for rotation?

According to this law, the torque (force applied at a distance from the axis of rotation) acting on an object is directly proportional to its angular acceleration. This means that the greater the torque, the greater the angular acceleration, and vice versa.

4. How does Newton's law of motion for rotation explain the motion of objects in circular orbits?

Objects in circular orbits are constantly changing direction, which means they are accelerating. This acceleration is caused by the net torque acting on the object, as explained by Newton's law of motion for rotation. The centripetal force that keeps the object in its orbit is also a form of torque.

5. Can Newton's law of motion for rotation be applied to all rotating objects?

Yes, Newton's law of motion for rotation can be applied to all rotating objects, as long as they are not undergoing any other type of motion (such as linear motion). It is a fundamental law of physics that applies to objects of any size, from tiny particles to massive planets.