Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation Problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the gravitational force between three planets and an astronaut on one of the planets. The force depends on the distance from the center of the planet, not just from the surface. Therefore, the radial distance needs to be calculated in order to find the correct value for the force.
ova5676

Homework Statement

jKGhx.png

Answers: 56. 6.16 x 10^17 N, 57. 894 N

Homework Equations

• Fg = G*m1*m2/r^2
  • g = G*M/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

56. Since the closest planet to Z is Y I figured the gravitational force could be calculated by just finding the gravitational force between Z and Y, which I did, but it didn't turn out to be the answer. So I'm thinking X is involved somehow, but I have no idea, I didn't really learn this.

57. This, you'd think, would be straight forward. I could just use the first equation using G, m1 (100kg), m2 (the mass of the Earth - 5.9742 x 10^24 kg) and the radius 300 km, but that wasn't the answer either? I'm stuck!

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm, what about sumation of the forces on planet z both planet x and planet y have a gravitational force acting in accordance with z. this should be correct imho because the question asks for the NET gravitational force just one would be a component of the net force. you would have to use the law for the first distance added to the law for the combined distances... ie

Fnet=(G*m1*m2/r1^2) + (G*m1*m2/(r1+r2)^2)

what units is it asking for the force of gravity? i normally convert all quantities to SI units where a Newton N=Kg*m/s/s. here we have kg for the mass but the r value is in km, i normally would convert to meters as customary to myself... if its asking for Newtons you might try converting to meters and calculating again...

The gravitational force does not depend upon which bodies are closest. Every mass interacts with every other mas according to the inverse square law. So for your question 56, sum the forces due to both X and Y according to their respective distances.

For 57, consider what the R represents in the gravitational force equation, then re-read the question statement.

gneill said:
The gravitational force does not depend upon which bodies are closest. Every mass interacts with every other mas according to the inverse square law. So for your question 56, sum the forces due to both X and Y according to their respective distances.

For 57, consider what the R represents in the gravitational force equation, then re-read the question statement.

It's kind of late, so excuse my mind-numbness here but what do you mean by sum of the forces due to both X and Y? Do you mean

Fnet = Fg between X and Y + Fg between Y and Z? or just Fg between X and Y?

And for 57, r means radius, which is 300 km above the Earth's surface, isn't that the distance = radius? What do you mean? I don't get it?

ova5676 said:
It's kind of late, so excuse my mind-numbness here but what do you mean by sum of the forces due to both X and Y? Do you mean

Fnet = Fg between X and Y + Fg between Y and Z? or just Fg between X and Y?
Planet Y exerts a force on planet Z AND planet X exerts a force on planet Z. Find the sum of these forces.

And for 57, r means radius, which is 300 km above the Earth's surface, isn't that the distance = radius? What do you mean? I don't get it?
The force depends upon the astronaut's distance from the Earth's center!

SammyS said:
Planet Y exerts a force on planet Z AND planet X exerts a force on planet Z. Find the sum of these forces.

The force depends upon the astronaut's distance from the Earth's center!

So if that's not the radius, then what do I use?

ova5676 said:
So if that's not the radius, then what do I use?

If it's not the radial distance, then calculate the radial distance! Height above Earth's surface is not the same as the distance from the Earth's center!

gneill said:
If it's not the radial distance, then calculate the radial distance! Height above Earth's surface is not the same as the distance from the Earth's center!

I understand, but how would I get radial distance?

Look up a value for the Earth's radius. That's the distance from the Earth's center to the Earth's surface. In the problem you're given the distance of the astronaut from the Earth's surface. Do the addition.

Related to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation Problem

1. What is Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation explain the motion of planets?

According to this law, the gravitational force between two objects is responsible for the motion of planets in their orbits around the sun. The sun's massive gravitational pull keeps the planets in their orbits, while the planets' own gravitational pull also affects their motion.

3. How does the distance between two objects affect the gravitational force between them?

The gravitational force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity decreases. So, the closer two objects are, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

4. What is the equation for calculating the gravitational force between two objects?

The equation for calculating the gravitational force between two objects is F = G * (m1 * m2)/d^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

5. How does Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation relate to other laws of motion?

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation is one of three laws of motion proposed by Sir Isaac Newton. It relates to the other two laws by stating that the force of gravity is responsible for the acceleration of objects, as described by Newton's second law (F = ma), and that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, as described by Newton's third law.