Need Help Solving Physics Problems - Any Assistance Appreciated!

In summary: I tried other equations and they all resulted in the same answer. I was told that this equation is the most accurate. I don't know what "s" is in the equation, but I assumed it is simply the coefficient of static friction.
axedodger
Having significant issues with solving these problems. Any help is appreciated. Thanks to all who can help!

1. How large must the coefficient of static friction be between the tires and the road if a car is to round a level curve of radius 75 m at a speed of 90 km/h?

I used the equation: μs = v^2/gr

answer: 0.85 was told it was wrong? alternatives?

2. Calculate the force of Earth's gravity (in N) on a spacecraft 12,800 km (2 Earth radii) above the Earth's surface if its mass is 1600 kg.

Note: Your answer is assumed to be reduced to the highest power possible.

I am terrible with powers of 10. Any help is appreciated.

I used eq. F = G m(satellite)m(earth)/2r^2

I also tried F = G m(satellite)m(earth)/3r^2

answer: one of my answers 0.00017x10^8

3. A certain neutron star has five times the mass of our sun packed into a sphere about 10 km in radius. Estimate the surface gravity on this monster (in m/s2).

Don't even knwo where to begin with this problem.

4. A space shuttle releases a satellite into a circular orbit 650 km above the Earth. How fast must the shuttle be moving (relative to Earth) when the release occurs (in m/s)?

equation used: V = √Gm(earth)/r

answer: v = 0.005673769x10^11 m/s

also go an answer of v = 23819 m/s

5. During an Apollo lunar landing mission, the command module continued to orbit the Moon at an altitude of about 100 km. How long did it take to go around Moon once (in seconds)?

Don't know where to begin here either.

THANKS TO ALL WHO CAN HELP!

PLease let me know what question your helping with if you answer. THANKS!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

axedodger said:
Having significant issues with solving these problems. Any help is appreciated. Thanks to all who can help!

1. How large must the coefficient of static friction be between the tires and the road if a car is to round a level curve of radius 75 m at a speed of 90 km/h?I used the equation: μs = v^2/gr

answer: 0.85 was told it was wrong? alternatives?
What is "s" here? Why did you use that equation? What was your reasoning?
2. Calculate the force of Earth's gravity (in N) on a spacecraft 12,800 km (2 Earth radii) above the Earth's surface if its mass is 1600 kg.

I am terrible with powers of 10. Any help is appreciated.
I don't see that "powers of 10" have anything to do with this.
[tex]F= \frac{GmM}{r^2}[/tex]
You know that the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the Earth is -9.88 m/s^2 so [itex]GM/R^2= 9.88[/itex] where R is the radius of the earth. replace R with 2R.
3. A certain neutron star has five times the mass of our sun packed into a sphere about 10 km in radius. Estimate the surface gravity on this monster (in m/s2).
Again, you know that [itex]GM/R^2= 9.88[/itex]. Replace M by 5 M and replace R by (10/640000)R.

4. A space shuttle releases a satellite into a circular orbit 650 km above the Earth. How fast must the shuttle be moving (relative to Earth) when the release occurs (in m/s)?
The distance from the center of the Earth is 6400+ 650 km. What is the circumference of a circle of that radius? What is the speed of a satellite that goes that far in 24 hours?
5. During an Apollo lunar landing mission, the command module continued to orbit the Moon at an altitude of about 100 km. How long did it take to go around Moon once (in seconds)?
Much the same as (4). What is the circumference of a circle of radius the radius of the moon plus 100?
THANKS TO ALL WHO CAN HELP!

PLease let me know what question your helping with if you answer. THANKS!
You really need to show some of YOUR work in the future.

sorry question 1 ... μs = coefficient of static friction

I used μs = v^2/gr because that is the equation derived from μ(static)mg = mv^2/r

Last edited:

I edited the work to show what I knew(which was limited).

Hello, I am happy to assist you with solving these physics problems. Let's go through each question one by one and I will provide some guidance and alternative approaches.

1. The equation you used is correct, but you may have made a mistake in your calculations. The correct answer should be μs = 0.5. You can also approach this problem using the centripetal force equation, Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the car, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the curve. Setting Fc equal to the maximum static friction force, μsN, and solving for μs will also give you the correct answer.

2. Your equation is correct, but you may have made a mistake in your calculations. The correct answer should be F = 1.12x10^5 N. Remember to use the correct value for the gravitational constant, G, which is 6.67x10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2.

3. To solve this problem, you can use the equation for surface gravity, g = GM/R^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the neutron star, and R is the radius of the star. Plug in the given values and solve for g. The correct answer should be g = 4.18x10^11 m/s^2.

4. Your first answer is correct, but the second answer is incorrect. The correct answer should be v = 7762 m/s. You can also use the equation for orbital velocity, v = √GM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the radius of the orbit. Plug in the given values and solve for v.

5. To solve this problem, you can use the equation for orbital period, T = 2π√(r^3/GM), where r is the radius of the orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the Moon. Plug in the given values and solve for T. The correct answer should be T = 6.3x10^4 seconds.

I hope this helps! Remember to double check your calculations and use the correct values for constants. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

What is the best way to approach solving a physics problem?

The best way to approach solving a physics problem is to first carefully read and understand the question. Then, identify the relevant principles and equations that apply to the problem. Next, draw a diagram or use visual aids to help understand the problem better. Finally, solve the problem step by step using the appropriate equations and units.

What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and try to understand where you are getting stuck. Review the relevant principles and equations, and try to apply them to the problem in a different way. If you are still unable to solve the problem, seek help from a classmate, teacher, or tutor.

Why is it important to show all of my work when solving a physics problem?

Showing all of your work when solving a physics problem is important because it allows you to receive partial credit if you make a mistake. It also helps you to identify where you may have made a mistake and correct it. Additionally, showing your work allows others to see your thought process and understand how you arrived at your answer.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include not using the correct units, making calculation errors, and not double-checking your work. It is also important to make sure you are using the correct equations and applying them correctly to the problem.

Where can I find additional resources for help with solving physics problems?

Additional resources for help with solving physics problems can be found online through educational websites, forums, and tutorials. Your teacher or professor may also have additional resources available, such as practice problems or study guides. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can provide valuable assistance with solving physics problems.