Newton's laws and working with systems

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three carts connected by strings, with each cart having a mass of 50kg and accelerating at 3m/s/s. The question is about which direction the tension force should be pointed in a free body diagram. It is suggested to make separate diagrams for each block since the tension force would differ for each one. The problem is then posted and solutions for finding the force, frictional force, and tension in the strings are provided. It is mentioned to use Newton's second law to find the tension values.
dranseth

Homework Statement

Say you have three carts connected by strings, with each cart's mass being 50kg, which way would the tension for be pointed in a free body diagram? By the way, the carts are accelerating..

[]-[]-[]

accelerating --> @ 3m/s/s

Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem there is more then one object with forces acting on it. Which box are you drawing a free body diagram for?

I drew one for the entire system

OK, well the tension is not going to point in the same direction for each block. For example:

Which way does the tension from rope one pull block one? Which way does the same tension force pull block 2?

You need to add more than one tension vector to the diagram, one for each block the tension force pulls on.

I suggest making a separate free body diagram for each block, since it would not be possible to draw the tension in the free body diagram for the system as whole because they are internal forces.

I'm not quite sure I understand how to do this.

so when you are solving for the tension in the 2 strings, would one of the equations have m=the systems entire mass, and the other will have m=only 2 blocks?

Could you please post the entire problem? I can't offer much help if I don't know what you are trying to solve for.

I am also going to need to see some of your work to give further help. What have you done so far? What forces are involved, etc.

Last edited:
4. Given the following system of 50kg carts that accelerate at 3m/s/s with a coefficient of friction of .1 then;[]------[]------[]-------->

...^B...^A...^F1

a) find the force that creates the acceleration on the system. (as if it were frictionless)
F1=ma
=150kg(3m/s/s)
=450N

b)calculate the total frictional force and the force of f1.
Ff+f1=ma
-147N+F1=450
F1=597N

c)calculate the tension in string A and B.

For part c) you need to think of each block separately.

HINT: Find the sum of the forces on each block separately. Then use Newton's second law to relate those sums to the acceleration. You should now have a system of three equations. Can you use that to find your tension values?

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. Can you give an example of Newton's second law in action?

One example of Newton's second law is a car accelerating on a straight road. The force of the engine pushes the car forward, and the mass of the car determines how quickly it can accelerate. A lighter car will accelerate faster than a heavier car with the same amount of force.

3. What is the difference between a closed and an open system?

A closed system is one in which there is no exchange of matter with its surroundings, but there can be an exchange of energy. An open system, on the other hand, allows for both the exchange of matter and energy with its surroundings.

4. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

To calculate the net force on an object, you must first determine all the individual forces acting on the object. Then, add the forces together using vector addition. The resulting sum is the net force on the object.

5. Can you explain the concept of equilibrium in a system?

Equilibrium in a system refers to a state in which the net force and net torque on an object are both equal to zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity without any external forces acting on it. In other words, the forces and torques acting on the object are balanced, and there is no change in its motion.