Newton's Laws direction and acceleration

In summary, the problem involves two forces, 0.405 N and 0.565 N, acting on a 0.250-kg hockey puck at angles of 25.0° north of east and 75.0° north of east, respectively. Using the components of these forces, the magnitude and direction of the puck's acceleration can be determined. By using the Pythagorean theorem and the arctan function, the magnitude was found to be 0.882 and the direction was determined to be parallel to the direction of the forces, resulting in an acceleration of 1.62 m/s^2 and 2.26 m/s^2 for the two forces, respectively.
vanitymdl

Homework Statement

Two forces are acting on a 0.250-kg hockey puck as it slides along the ice. The first force has a magnitude of 0.405 N and points 25.0° north of east. The second force has a magnitude of 0.565 N and points 75.0° north of east. If these are the only two forces acting on the puck, what will be the magnitude and direction of the puck\'s acceleration? Enter the direction as an angle measured in degrees counterclockwise from due east.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first force I got 0.405cos(25) = 0.367 (right) 0.405sin(25)=0.171 (up)
then for the second force 0.565cos(75)=0.146 (right) 0.565sin(75)=0.546 (up)
So next I would add all the forces 0.367+0.146=0.513N and 0.171+0.546=0.717N
then I don't know where to go from there

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have the total force as x and y components you can figure out the angle with respect to the x-axis and you can use the pythagorean theorem to figure out the forces magnitude.

from there use f=ma to determine the acceleration...

Okay so I did 0.513^2 + 0.717^2 = c^2
After solving I got c=0.882
Then I used the arctan(0.717/0.513)=54.4 degrees
How would I find acceleration though would I just use the the x components of the force for f=ma?

Newtons law give you a clue if you consider F and a as vectors then what can you conclude?

As a hint if I push a box north in what direction is the box accelerating?

(Think parallel)

Fnet = ma
F and a are vectors; since F is equal to ma, what can you conclude about their vector relationship?

So their vector relationship would cancel out?

vanitymdl said:
So their vector relationship would cancel out?

Not quite. Two lines that would never intersect on a 2D coordinate system. What do you call those?

hint: the word starts with a "P" and ends with an "L"

So they are parallel vectors

vanitymdl said:
So they are parallel vectors

Exactly. The direction of the force is parallel to the direction of the acceleration.

Okay, I'm still a little lost how this relates to the question. If direction of the force is parallel to the direction of the acceleration wouldn't they cancel out though? one would be in a negative direction and one in the positive

vanitymdl said:
Okay, I'm still a little lost how this relates to the question. If direction of the force is parallel to the direction of the acceleration wouldn't they cancel out though? one would be in a negative direction and one in the positive

Can you explain what would be in the negative direction and what would be in the positive direction? The direction of the force is the direction of the acceleration, so they wouldn't cancel out unless something of equal and opposite magnitude of the force was in the other direction.

Okay well thank you anyway, I'm getting more confused as we keep talking about it.

I apologize for confusing you. Good luck with the problem.

I think I might have made sense with it so i just use my original forces to find the acceleration. So .405N/0.25kg=1.62m/s^2 and for the second case 0.565N/0.245kg=2.26 m/s^s

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that explain the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by English physicist Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How do Newton's Laws relate to direction and acceleration?

The second law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the direction of acceleration is the same as the direction of the net force acting on the object.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that whenever one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How do Newton's Laws apply to real-life situations?

Newton's Laws are applicable to all types of motion, from the movement of planets to the rolling of a ball. They are used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and even sports, to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. For example, the design of a roller coaster ride or a car's braking system is based on Newton's Laws.