Newton's Laws magnitude of the force

In summary, the magnitude of the force applied during this time is 6.77 N and the direction of the force applied is 59.6 degrees to the x axis. The change in momentum of the object is used to find the magnitude and direction of the force. The magnitude of the change in momentum is found by using the initial and final velocities and resolving them into their x and y components. Then, using the change in momentum and the given time, the magnitude and direction of the force can be calculated using trigonometric functions.
Mysteek
First post =]
Requesting guidance with this particular problem:

Homework Statement

A 1.20 kg object is moving in the x direction at 14.4 m/s. Just 3.31 s later, it is moving at 28.8 m/s at 34.0 degrees to the x axis.

a.) What is the magnitude of the force applied during this time?

b.) What is the direction of the force applied during this time?

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I first organized all my givens, that is:
mObject = 1.20kg
vObject = 14.4m/s
t = 3.31s
v2Object = 28.8m/s 34 degrees to x axis

I established a coordinate system so that positive would be ^ and -> , and negative would be the opposites. I then drew the corresponding vectors (14.4m/s and 28.8m/s at the angle).

Then I broke down the angled vector into its x and y components:

v2x = 28.8cos34 = 23.88m/s
v2y = 28.8sin34 = 16.1m/s

Here's where I get uncomfortable with my work:

I know Fnet = ma

So F = 1.2(v/t)
= 1.2(v2-v1 / t)
= 1.2kg((23.88m/s - 14.4m/s) / 3.31s)
= 3.44

I'm aware I completely neglected the y component, and I've been having trouble finding out where to fit it really. I'd love a push in the right direction if someone wouldn't mind - thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mysteek, welcome to PF.
Force is defined rate of change of momentum.
Initial momentum Px is along the x direction. Resolve the final momentum into Px' and Py'.
Find the magnitude of change in momentum and hence the force.

Ah, momentum, brings back memories.

So then:

Px(initial) = mass of object * initial velocity
= 1.2kg(14.4m/s)
= 17.28

Px(final) = mass of object * x component final velocity
= 1.2kg(23.88m/s)
= 28.656

Py(final) = mass of object * y component final velocity
= 1.2kg(16.1m/s)
= 19.32

Now that I have the components, I can compute the change in momentum, thus providing me with force:

Fnet = Change in P

Change in Px = P(final) - P(initial)
= 28.656 - 17.28
= 11.376 N

Change in Py = 19.32 N

Magnitude of change in momentum would be:

Sqrt(11.376^2 + 19.32^2)
Sqrt(502.676)
= 22.4 N

Am I missing something? I didn't use the 3.31 seconds of time. Was ''time'' in the question just for the sake of throwing me off?

To get F divide change in momentum by time.

22.4 N would be the magnitude of the change of momentum, if I were to divide this by time I would get

22.4 / 3.31s

= 6.77 N

Oh, right! That makes perfect sense all the sudden, a bit more reading had me discover that momentum is in Newton seconds, so if I divided by time, seconds would cancel and I'd be left with Newtons, aka force.

At least I think my logic is correct. I'd like to think I understand the concept now.

Sorry for double posting - for some reason my browser isn't letting me click edit on my last post :(

When finding the direction of the force applied, could I use sine law?

Ex:

6.77N is the magnitude of the change of momentum, thus it would represent the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle, and because this vector is the hypotenuse, I can use:

(19.32 is the change in momentum in the y direction, aka opposite to the angle we need)

Sinx = opposite/hypotenuse
= 19.32 / 6.77

I get a math error when trying to find x. I assume I'm not using the correct numbers?

Crap, attempt number 2:

I think that the magnitude of the change in momentum has nothing to do with this particular section of the problem.

I found the hypotenuse earlier, did I not?

Sqrt(11.376^2 + 19.32^2)
Sqrt(502.676)
= 22.4 N s

This value is needed to keep units consistent, since the x and y components are also in N s.

Thus, I think I would use my same approach with this value?

sinx = o/h
= 19.32 / 22.4
x = 59.6 degrees?

Last edited:
tanθ = Py/Px

Related to Newton's Laws magnitude of the force

1. What is Newton's first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does Newton's second law relate to the magnitude of the force?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

3. What is the formula for calculating force using Newton's laws?

The formula for calculating force is F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

4. Does the magnitude of the force affect an object's motion?

Yes, the magnitude of the force applied to an object affects its motion. A greater force will result in a greater acceleration, causing the object to move faster or change direction.

5. Can Newton's laws be applied to all objects, regardless of their size or mass?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion can be applied to all objects, regardless of their size or mass. However, the effects of these laws may be more noticeable on larger or more massive objects due to their greater inertia and the forces acting upon them.