Newtons Laws with mouse and elephant

In summary, a bus is not possible to be pushed by hand if there is no friction, despite its huge inertia.
pkc111

Homework Statement

A mouse and an elephant are on a perfectly flat ice rink (no friction). 10N of force is applied to each animal for 10 seconds, describe their behaviour.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Both animals will accelerate immediately and continue accelerating for 10 seconds with the mouse accelerating at a faster rate than the elephant. After 10 seconds both animals will continue to move with constant velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct

Thanks, but I still don't get it.
I was told that not being able to move a bus with your hands, but able to push a bike with your hands was because of a difference in inertia of the 2 objects.
Isnt this only because they have different frictional forces and nothing to do with any difference in inertia ?

The heavier object has a larger mass, thus a larger inertia. In other words, the bus can resist to any changes of motion better than the bike. The reason why the frictional force on the bus is larger than on the bike, is that the bus has a larger mass.

F.friction=my*N (Where N=mg on a flat surface)

As I see it, it's like attacking the same problem from different angles. Your explanation is fine in my opinion.

Just to clarify

Am I right in saying that a bus can be moved immediately (with small but increasing velocity) with the lightest touch if there was no friction, despite its huge inertia ??

Yes. The bus will start moving. Let's take an example. We have your 25 000 kg bus, and a 10 kg bike in space.

Now we exert a force of 2 N on both bodies. If we assume that we can neglect all opposing forces, (i.e. there is no friction, and gravitational forces are minimal) we can easilly calculate the acceleration the bus will get, and the acceleration the bike will get from

F=ma --> a=F/m

We see that the bus will get a smaller acceleration because it has a larger mass. In other words, when we stop applying our 2 N force on the bodies, the bike will have a larger velocity. That's what inertia is about. The heavier bus will not change it's state of motion as much as the bike. It's about comparison. Light object will get larger velocities than heavier objects when an equal force is applied on both bodies.

So back to your question, the bus will start moving with the lightest touch, but the bike will start moving a lot faster when the same touch is applied on it.

Neglecting gravity and other opposing forces

Thanks that makes sense.

I still don't think textbooks stating that a bus is not possible to be pushed by hand is a great way to illustrate inertia, they should just say it would accelerate less (if there was no friction).

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used to explain the behavior of objects in motion today.

2. How do Newton's Laws apply to a mouse and an elephant?

Newton's Laws apply to all objects, regardless of their size. The laws describe how an object will behave when acted upon by different forces, such as the forces of gravity and friction. In the case of a mouse and an elephant, their size and weight may affect how they experience these forces, but the laws still apply to both.

3. What is the first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia?

The first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In simpler terms, this means that an object will not change its state of motion unless a force is applied to it.

4. How does the second law of motion relate to the mouse and elephant scenario?

The second law of motion, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of the mouse and elephant, the elephant will require a greater force to accelerate at the same rate as the mouse due to its larger mass.

5. Can you give an example of the third law of motion in relation to the mouse and elephant?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the scenario of a mouse and elephant, when the elephant moves forward, it exerts a force on the ground, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force on the elephant, allowing it to move forward. The same principle applies to the mouse, but the force and reaction may be less noticeable due to its smaller size.