What other Nobel speeches are as engaging and inspiring as Feynman's?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lectures
In summary, the conversation revolved around the Nobel speech given by Feynman and the admiration for his lectures and writings. Participants shared links to other Nobel speeches and discussed Feynman's genius and ability to explain complex concepts in an engaging way. The conversation also touched on the origin of energy in stars and the interconnectedness of the universe. Overall, Feynman was praised for his intellect and storytelling abilities.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I recrently read Feynman's nobel speech and it was extraordinarily interesting+insightful+inspirating+...

What are the other great Nobel speech out there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a link to it for us?

thank you kind sir

Thou art welcome noble lad.

Jesus, how many hours is that speech? I hope he didn't memorize it.

i like this lecture better then any other I've read so far, but then again, i haven't read that many...

this lecture was linked to several times on PF, so I've read it half a year ago or so, and i re-read it with a friend who appreciates this kind of things.

feynman is one of the greatest men of the 20th century.
i can never get enough of his lectures, I've been reading his lectures on physics for 2 years (haven't even covered 10% of them yet).

and "surely you're joking mr. feynman" was good too, this man knows how to tell stories!

it may be off-topic... but if we already are talking about feynman lectures... i'd quote some great sayings. (i just came back to read his intro a few days ago) :biggrin:

One of the most impressive discoveries was the origin of the energy of the stars, that makes them continue to burn. One of the men who discovered this was out with his girl friend the night after he realized that nuclear reactions must be going on in the stars in order to make them shine. She said "Look at how pretty the stars shine!" He said "Yes, and right now I am the only man in the world who knows why they shine." She merely laughed at him. She was not impressed with being out with the only man who, at that moment, knew why stars shine.
Well, it is sad to be alone, but that is the way it it in this world.

A poet once said, "The whole universe is in a glass of wine." We will probably
never know in what sense he meant that, for poets do not write to be understood.
But it is true that if we look at a glass of wine closely enough we see the entire
universe. There are the things of physics: the twisting liquid which evaporates
depending on the wind and weather, the reflections in the glass, and our imagi-
nation adds the atoms. The glass is a distillation of the Earth's rocks, and in its
composition we see the secrets of the universe's age, and the evolution of stars.
What strange array of chemicals are in the wine? How did they come to be?
There are the ferments, the enzymes, the substrates, and the products. There in
wine is found the great generalization: all life is fermentation. Nobody can
discover the chemistry of wine without discovering, as did Louis Pasteur, the cause
of much disease. How vivid is the claret, pressing its existence into the conscious-
ness that watches it! If our small minds, for some convenience, divide this glass
of wine, this universe, into parts—physics, biology, geology, astronomy, psy-
chology, and so on—remember that nature does not know it! So let us put it all
back together, not forgetting ultimately what it is for. Let it give us one more final
pleasure: drink it and forget it all!

well interesting one!
Being long even then it had the power to make one focuss...well guy gives nice synonyms like comparing with females...definitely possessed a superior way to say things ...

Related to What other Nobel speeches are as engaging and inspiring as Feynman's?

1. What is a Nobel lecture?

A Nobel lecture is a speech given by a Nobel Prize recipient to share their achievements and contributions to their field of study. It is typically delivered at the Nobel Prize award ceremony and is a requirement for receiving the prize.

2. Who gives Nobel lectures?

Nobel lectures are given by the recipients of the Nobel Prize in various categories such as physics, chemistry, medicine, literature, economics, and peace. These individuals are chosen by the Nobel Committee for their groundbreaking work and significant contributions to their respective fields.

3. When are Nobel lectures given?

Nobel lectures are given at the Nobel Prize award ceremony, which takes place annually on December 10th, the anniversary of Alfred Nobel's death. The lectures are typically given in the same year that the prize is awarded, although in some cases they may be delayed until the following year.

4. How long are Nobel lectures?

The length of Nobel lectures can vary, but they are typically around 30-45 minutes long. The length may also depend on the number of recipients and their respective speeches.

5. Are Nobel lectures open to the public?

Yes, Nobel lectures are open to the public and are often broadcasted live on television or online. Some universities and institutions also host live screenings of the lectures. Additionally, the transcripts and recordings of past Nobel lectures are available on the official Nobel Prize website for anyone to access.