Nodal Analysis question me

In summary: If you can't explain your equations, you'll have to go back and re-read your notes and do some practice problems. Try to be as clear as possible when explaining your work. Thanks for trying to do your homework, but we need more information from you before we can help.
nisal5500

Homework Statement

Using Nodal analysis, determine the current through each resistor, for this circuit. Could you please show the KCL working out.I need the answers Please help me i am helpless with nodal analysis consist of a current source.Thanks in advance :) !.please help me.

r1=120
r2=360
r3=330
r4=820
r5=100
r6=470
i1=15mA

Homework Equations

i1 + i2 + i3 = 0 ?

3) The attempt at a solution
first i converted the current sources and apply kcl for node 1.
For node1:
(9-v1)/120+(-4.95-v1)/560=0
so v1=7.41176v
For node 2:
v2/820+(5--v2)/570=0
so v2=3v.

I assumed that all currents are comming in.

nodal.jpg

I really want the answers please :cry::cry:[/quote]

Please click on the image to zoom

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nisal5500 said:

Homework Statement

Using Nodal analysis, determine the current through each resistor, for this circuit. Could you please show the KCL working out.I need the answers Please help me i am helpless with nodal analysis consist of a current source.Thanks in advance :) !.please help me.

r1=120
r2=360
r3=330
r4=820
r5=100
r6=100
r7=470
i1=15mA

Homework Equations

i1 + i2 + i3 = 0 ?

3) The attempt at a solution
For the 1st question i gt v1=2.7794*10^-3v and v2=-0.072194v.

View attachment 55774

I really want the answers please :cry::cry:

Please click on the image to zoom

You'll have to show an attempt so that we can know how to help; we won't do your homework for you here.

Presumably the list of resistances you've given are for the first circuit, but you've listed seven resistors when the circuit shows only six :confused: Also, it's difficult to make out the values on the voltage supplies from the image; you'll have to clarify them.

Start by identifying your reference node and labeling the others. Then make an attempt at writing node equations so we can see your level of understanding. If you have absolutely no idea what any of this means, you'll have to review your text and notes first.

Last edited by a moderator:
gneill said:
You'll have to show an attempt so that we can know how to help; we won't do your homework for you here.

Presumably the list of resistances you've given are for the first circuit, but you've listed seven resistors when the circuit shows only six :confused: Also, it's difficult to make out the values on the voltage supplies from the image; you'll have to clarify them.

Start by identifying your reference node and labeling the others. Then make an attempt at writing node equations so we can see your level of understanding. If you have absolutely no idea what any of this means, you'll have to review your text and notes first.

For node1:
so v1=7.41176v
For node 2:
v2/820+(5--v2)/570=0
so v2=3v.

nisal5500 said:
For node1:
so v1=7.41176v
For node 2:
v2/820+(5--v2)/570=0
so v2=3v.

It's not necessary to convert the current source; You're writing KCL equations for nodes, and the given current source just needs to be added to or subtracted from the current totals for the nodes it connects to. But it's okay to convert wish, it's just a bit of extra work for you. You should make clear what the converted source is. What's its potential, resistance, and orientation?

You haven't specified which nodes are which, so it's difficult to tell what your equations represent. Where's the reference node? Which node is node 1? Which is node 2? What's the value of the E1 source (looks like it might be 9V from the equations you wrote).

in for a clearer view of the solution.

Nodal analysis is a powerful technique used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current at different nodes in a circuit. It is based on the concept of Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), which states that the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving the node.

In this circuit, we have two nodes - node 1 and node 2. Using KCL, we can write the following equations for each node:

Node 1:
i1 + i2 + i3 = 0
Where i1 is the current through the 15mA current source, i2 is the current through resistor R5, and i3 is the current through resistor R6.

Node 2:
i2 + i4 + i5 = 0
Where i4 is the current through resistor R1, i5 is the current through resistor R2, and i6 is the current through resistor R3.

To solve for the unknown currents, we can use Ohm's law (V=IR) and substitute the values given in the problem to get the following equations:

Node 1:
15mA + (9V - v1)/120 + (-4.95V - v1)/470 = 0
Simplifying, we get:
4.95mA - v1/120 - v1/470 = 0
Bringing the variables to one side, we get:
-0.00833v1 = -4.95mA
Solving for v1, we get:
v1 = 594.059mV

Now, we can use this value to solve for the current through R5 and R6:
i2 = (9V - v1)/120 = 4.05mA
i3 = (-4.95V - v1)/470 = -10.531mA

Node 2:
i2 + (5V - v2)/360 + (v2 - 3V)/330 = 0
Simplifying, we get:
i2 + v2/360 - v2/330 = 0.01364A
Substituting the value of i2 we found earlier, we get:
4.05mA + v2/360 - v2/330 = 0.01364A
Bringing the variables to one side, we get:

1. What is nodal analysis and how is it used in circuit analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current flow at each node (connection point) in a circuit. It involves setting up a system of equations based on Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law to solve for the unknown variables.

2. What are the steps for performing nodal analysis?

The steps for performing nodal analysis are as follows:
1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit.
2. Choose a reference node and assign it a reference voltage of 0.
3. Write Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for each non-reference node.
4. Substitute Ohm's Law equations for each resistor in the circuit.
5. Solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown node voltages.

3. What is the difference between nodal analysis and mesh analysis?

Nodal analysis and mesh analysis are two different methods used in circuit analysis. Nodal analysis is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law, and it involves solving for the unknown voltages at each node in the circuit. Mesh analysis is based on Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and Ohm's Law, and it involves solving for the unknown currents in each loop of the circuit. In general, nodal analysis is used for circuits with multiple voltage sources, while mesh analysis is used for circuits with multiple current sources.

4. How do you handle dependent sources in nodal analysis?

Dependent sources, such as voltage-controlled voltage sources or current-controlled current sources, can be handled in nodal analysis by treating them as variables in the system of equations. Their values can be expressed in terms of the unknown node voltages, and they can be solved for along with the other unknowns.

5. Can nodal analysis be used for circuits with non-linear components?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for circuits with non-linear components. However, in these cases, the equations may become non-linear and more complex to solve, and iterative methods may be needed to find a solution. Additionally, the equations may need to be linearized if the circuit contains highly non-linear components.