What is the correct formula for calculating noise level in decibels?

In summary: So L is telling you the sound level relative to the threshold of hearing, in decibels.In summary, when the distance to a sound source is doubled, the noise level will be halved. The first formula, L = 10 lg(I/10-12), is the same as the second formula, L = 10 lg(I/l0), with l0=10-12 W/m2. This is known as the threshold of hearing. Either formula can be used to solve the problem, but the first one is typically used when a specific value for l is given. L represents the sound level in decibels relative to the threshold of hearing, with the threshold of pain being 130 dB.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

When the distance to a sound source is doubled, the noise level will be halved. Yes or no?

Homework Equations

L = 10 lg(I/10-12) or L = 10 lg(I/l0)

The Attempt at a Solution

my book used the first formula in another question and it used the second one in this problem. I know how to solve the problem but what I don't know is where 10-12 comes from. Because in the text where my book tries to explain sound they only write the first formula but then when they gave an example of a problem they used the second formula. Which is the real one and when do I use them?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first formula is the same as the second with l0=10-12 W/m2. That's the so called threshold of hearing
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/intens.html#c3
Both are real and either one can be used to answer this particular question. For other questions, I would say you should probably use the first one if a specific value for l is given. Here it is not, and it doesn't matter that it's not.

If I and I0 are given and I calculate the value of L, what is L giving me? Is it the noise level when the intensity is I or is it the noise level difference from when it goes from I0 to I?

It is the sound level in decibels relative to the threshold of hearing. If you read on the hyperphysics link, the threshold of pain is 130 dB. You can solve the equation for I with I0 = 10-12W/m2 and L = 130 dB, to get I = 10 W/m2.

1. What is the formula for calculating noise level?

The formula for calculating noise level is L = 10 log (I/I₀), where L is the noise level in decibels (dB), I is the intensity of the sound, and I₀ is the reference intensity of 10⁻¹² watts per square meter.

2. How is noise level measured?

Noise level is measured using a sound level meter, which measures the sound pressure level in decibels (dB) and converts it into a numerical value.

3. What is considered a safe noise level?

A safe noise level for the average person is around 70 dB or lower. Prolonged exposure to noise levels above 85 dB can cause hearing damage.

4. How does distance affect noise level?

The intensity of sound decreases with distance, so the further you are from the source of the noise, the lower the noise level will be. This can be calculated using the inverse square law.

5. What are some common sources of noise pollution?

Some common sources of noise pollution include transportation (e.g. cars, airplanes, trains), construction sites, industrial machinery, and loud music or events.