Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noise measurement-decrease in sound intensity with distance

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1

Nau

I am making a noise level meter, that would trigger an alarm, if the noise level has reached hazardous levels. However, one problem with noise is that it'd intensity decreases with distance, so that the meter would percieve a low sound near the meter and a high sound far away as equal. So does any one have any innovative idea about how I can handle this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why is this a problem?
    You are presumably not trying to make a detector that can detect the level of noise far away from the sensor?

4. Feb 16, 2010 #3

Nau

No my detector is sensitive enough to detect sounds at a distance. But ofcourse when the sound would have travelled a long distance, its intensity would have decreased, and the meter would also give a small reading. However, a low intensity sound near the meter might be giving the same reading. that is the problem.

5. Feb 16, 2010 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am still not followíng you...
    Isn't the purpose of the meter to warn agains high noise levels at the location of the meter?
    If so, why is it a problem that it is not triggered by low noise levels near the meter?

6. Feb 16, 2010 #5
    you need to either put the sensor closer to the source, or install multiple devices so that you can cover a wider area.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook