Non abelian groups of order 6 isomorphic to S_3

• Thread starter alligatorman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, you showed that all groups of order 6 are isomorphic to S_3 without using Sylow's Theorems.
alligatorman
How can I show that all Non Abelian Groups of order 6 are isomorphic to S_3 without using Sylow's Theorems?

I have shown the following:
G has a non-normal group of normal subgroup of order 2
The elements of G look like:
1, a, a^2, b, c, d, where a,a^2 have order 3 and others have order 2

I want G to act on the set of left cosets of a subgroup of order 2 to get a homomorphism from G onto S3, but I'm kind of confused.

Any ideas? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
alligatorman said:
G has a non-normal group of normal subgroup of order 2
Did you mean to say "G has a non-normal subgroup of order 2"?

I want G to act on the set of left cosets of a subgroup of order 2 to get a homomorphism from G onto S3, but I'm kind of confused.
That's a good idea. Call the subgroup G is acting on H. Look at the kernel of the induced homomorphism into S_3: it's a subgroup of H.

Oops, yes I meant non-normal s/gp of order 2.

So if H = (1,a) where a has order 2, and non-normal, and we let G act on the left cosets of H, then the kernel is [tex]\cap_{x\in G} xHx^{-1}[/tex], so the kernel is trivial.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, which makes me think I did not fully understand your advice.:confused:

G has six elements. S_3 has six elements. We have an injective homomorphism from G into S_3. So ...!

That would imply isomorphism, but I'm confused as to why a trivial kernel implies that the homom. is injective. (assuming I did that correctly)

Try to prove it. It's very straightforward. Start with what it means for a homomorphism to be injective.

So suppose Ker p = 1 where p is homom.

Then let x,y be in G such that p(x)=p(y)

Then p(xy^-1)=p(x)p(y)^-1 =1 .. so x=y

So I guess this all proves that G is isomorphic to S3.

Thank you very much!

Related to Non abelian groups of order 6 isomorphic to S_3

1. What is a non abelian group of order 6?

A non abelian group of order 6 is a mathematical structure consisting of six elements, where the group operation is not commutative. This means that the order in which the elements are multiplied together affects the outcome of the operation.

2. What does it mean for a group to be isomorphic to S3?

Two groups are said to be isomorphic if they have the same structure, meaning that their elements can be paired up in such a way that the group operations are preserved. In this case, a non abelian group of order 6 is isomorphic to S3 if their elements can be paired up in such a way that their group operations are the same.

3. How many non abelian groups of order 6 are isomorphic to S3?

There is only one non abelian group of order 6 that is isomorphic to S3. This is because the structure of the group is uniquely determined by its order.

4. What are the elements of a non abelian group of order 6 isomorphic to S3?

The elements of a non abelian group of order 6 isomorphic to S3 are six distinct elements, denoted by a, b, c, d, e, and f. These elements have properties that follow the group operation of S3, which includes being closed, having an identity element, and having inverse elements.

5. What are some real-life applications of non abelian groups of order 6 isomorphic to S3?

Non abelian groups of order 6 isomorphic to S3 have applications in many areas of mathematics and science, including group theory, abstract algebra, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in cryptography to create secure codes and in computer graphics to create 3D rotations.