1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non analytic function?

1. Dec 26, 2006 #1
    Non analytic function???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was set this question as part of an extra problem sheet by my maths teacher, and i dont know where to start. He said its like first year university maths standard, and gave me hints to use the maclaurins and binomial series. Im just a bit stuck... PLEASE HELP... I found an example of a non analytical function on this forum, but just confused me!

the question...

Consider the function
    f(x) = "e− 1
    x2 if x "= 0
    0 if x = 0
    Calculate the Maclaurin series of f and show that it does not converge to f(x) for x "= 0. In
    particular f is not an analytic function.

2. Relevant equations

Maclaurins series
    Binomial expansion

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont know where to start
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 28, 2006 #3
    woops... cant copy and paste!

Yes sorry it is an e^x....

Thanks for yuor reply, but im still really stuck. I emailed my teacher the other day and he said to try find an example, and just understand it (or try to understand it).

Does anyone know where i could find a worked solution of this... preferablely with quotations as it goes along...

5. Jan 11, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

This page has some good examples regarding convergence of a series.

Think about the purpose of expanding using a series and then think about the criterion for convergence.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?