Non-aquaeous expansion medium for a reactor

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an expansion medium other than water to turn a turbine and generate electricity in a reactor. The speaker suggests finding a substance with a lower energy requirement for evaporation and the ability to be recycled in a closed loop. However, the use of water is still prevalent in modern nuclear reactors due to its properties and availability. The speaker also mentions the importance of considering the entire heat balance and potential hazards when choosing an alternate substance. The Kalina cycle is suggested as a potential solution.
christian everett
I wanted to ask whether it might be feasible and advantageous to use an expansion medium other that water to go from liquid to vapor to turn a turbine to generate electicity in a reactor.

Because of water's very high specific heat and heat of vaporiaztion, would it be possible find another substane that would go from liquid to gas using much less energy for the same volume and pressure of vapor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Water is the cheapest thing you can get... I think it all come to this, in my opinion.

The non-aquaeous expansion medium could be recycled in a closed loop after being heated by the molten sodium loop...by cooling back to the liquid phase with another loop, which could be water...

In this way the input and output temperature could be regulated so that a change of a few tens degrees or even less could change the medium from liquid to gas and back again, instead of heating water at ambient temperatures, about 70 F, to form steam under pressure, about 750 F, which is then discarded.

Depending on the type of reactor water has also other important features (like moderator). I don't know much about new generations of nuclear reactors (neither about older ones to be honest :biggrin::biggrin:), but it is hard to imagine some other material with the same properties as water, but cheaper. Also recycling is not always so cheap...

I will look something online, but I think the only way we still produce power is to use water to generate steam... I didn't know about molten sodium loop reactors, but in the end it seems they still use water.

Google is your friend. Try search terms steam cycle nuclear power plant or steam cycle power plant. This is one good hit, although it's not complete on its own: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear...ing-2008/lecture-notes/MIT22_091S08_lec08.pdf.

Pay particular attention to the need for superheat with a steam turbine. Also to the effect of steam pressure and condenser pressure on the thermal efficiency. And even the effect of feedwater heaters on efficiency.

Then, if you still want to look at alternative fluids, note that a usable heat transfer fluid must meet a number of requirements. It must not chemically break down. It must not react with any materials used in the piping, valves, heat exchangers, etc. It must be available and affordable. The pressure-temperature curve needs to be within a reasonable range. And it must have properties that result in overall advantage over water. At a minimum, it must result in better efficiency.

It probably wouldn't be very difficult to find a material with a better pressure/temperature curve than water.

Energy would have to be expended to inject the condensed liquid back into the expnsion chamber, but maybe a thousand times as much energy would be generated when the material turns back into vapor.

Even an azeotrope, binary or tertiary with water might be advantageous over pure H2O.

Likes trurle
Another consideration is environmental safety. If water escapes the system into the environment, it doesn't pose much of a hazard, but other substances would be much more dangerous.

Likes dRic2
So I'm not getting an answer to my question here.

christian everett said:
So I'm not getting an answer to my question here.
I'm not sure what you are expecting. So why don't you pick a substance, work through the thermodynamics, and tell us how / why it is better than using water?

christian everett said:
Because of water's very high specific heat and heat of vaporiaztion, would it be possible find another substane that would go from liquid to gas using much less energy for the same volume and pressure of vapor.

Before concluding that this alternate substance cycle is actually better, you have to examine how much energy it gives up in the turbine, how much in the condenser and feedwater heaters. In other words, a complete heat balance for the entire cycle, not just the evaporation part. Temperatures and pressures are significant also, not just energy.

Likes gmax137
christian everett said:
It probably wouldn't be very difficult to find a material with a better pressure/temperature curve than water.

Energy would have to be expended to inject the condensed liquid back into the expnsion chamber, but maybe a thousand times as much energy would be generated when the material turns back into vapor.

Even an azeotrope, binary or tertiary with water might be advantageous over pure H2O.
You are likely looking for the Kalina cycle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalina_cycle

Likes anorlunda

1. What is a non-aqueous expansion medium for a reactor?

A non-aqueous expansion medium for a reactor is a substance used to fill the empty space within a reactor vessel. It is typically a liquid or gas that is non-water based, meaning it does not contain any water molecules.

2. What is the purpose of using a non-aqueous expansion medium in a reactor?

The purpose of using a non-aqueous expansion medium in a reactor is to provide a stable and consistent environment for the reactions taking place within the reactor. It helps to control the temperature, pressure, and other conditions necessary for the reactions to occur efficiently.

3. What are some examples of non-aqueous expansion mediums used in reactors?

Some common examples of non-aqueous expansion mediums used in reactors include organic solvents such as toluene, hexane, and ethyl acetate, as well as inert gases like nitrogen, argon, and helium.

4. How is a non-aqueous expansion medium chosen for a specific reactor?

The choice of a non-aqueous expansion medium for a reactor depends on several factors, such as the type of reactions taking place, the desired temperature and pressure range, and the compatibility of the medium with the reactants and products. The properties of the medium, such as its boiling point and chemical stability, are also taken into consideration.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with using non-aqueous expansion mediums in reactors?

Yes, there are some safety concerns associated with using non-aqueous expansion mediums in reactors. These substances can be flammable, toxic, or corrosive, so proper precautions must be taken to ensure the safety of the researchers and the environment. It is important to carefully handle and dispose of these substances according to proper protocols.