Non Constant Hazard Rates - Calculating the modal failure rate of hard drive

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the most likely time for a hard disk to fail, given a probability per unit time function. The formula for the most likely time is t_{modal} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\alpha_0}}, but the individual is having trouble deriving it. They have calculated the probability distribution and found the condition for the most likely time to be when the derivative is equal to zero, but are stuck on how to proceed from there. They have been asked if they used the product rule when computing the derivative.
orangeIV
Hi, I'm currently trying to work through a problem about calculating the most likely time for a hard disk to fail:

Hard disks fail with a probability per unit time: [itex]\alpha (t) = \alpha _0 t [/itex] where [itex]\alpha_0 = 0.5[/itex] years.

I know that the answer is [itex]t_{modal} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\alpha_0}}[/itex], but am having problems deriving this. Here is what I've done so far:

The probability distribution can be calculated as follows:

[itex]f(x) = \alpha (t) e^{-\int \alpha (t) dt} = \alpha (t) e^{-\frac{1}{2} \alpha_0 t^2} [/itex]

The most likely time for the disk to fail will be when [itex]\frac{df}{dt} = 0 [/itex]. So when

[itex] 0 = -{\alpha_0}^2 t^2 e^{-\frac{1}{2} \alpha_0 t^2} [/itex]

This is where I get stuck. Is this the correct approach? Any ideas about how how I might proceed :)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
when [itex]\frac{df}{dt} = 0 [/itex]. So when

[itex] 0 = -{\alpha_0}^2 t^2 e^{-\frac{1}{2} \alpha_0 t^2} [/itex]

Did you use the product rule when you computed this derivative?

1. What is a non-constant hazard rate?

A non-constant hazard rate refers to the probability of a failure occurring at a specific point in time, which changes over time. This means that the likelihood of failure increases or decreases as the time interval changes.

2. How is the modal failure rate of a hard drive calculated?

The modal failure rate of a hard drive is calculated by determining the time interval with the highest number of failures and dividing that number by the total number of failures. This gives the most common failure rate for that specific time interval.

3. Why is it important to calculate the modal failure rate of a hard drive?

Calculating the modal failure rate of a hard drive can provide valuable information for predicting future failures and determining the overall reliability of the hard drive. It can also help in identifying any patterns or trends in the failure rates.

4. What factors can affect the non-constant hazard rate of a hard drive?

The non-constant hazard rate of a hard drive can be affected by various factors, including the age of the hard drive, the environmental conditions it is exposed to, the workload it is subjected to, and the quality of the manufacturing process.

5. How can the concept of non-constant hazard rates be applied in other fields?

The concept of non-constant hazard rates can be applied in various fields, such as medicine, engineering, and finance. In medicine, it can be used to study the effectiveness of treatments over time, while in engineering, it can help in designing more reliable products. In finance, it can be used to analyze the risk of investments over time.