Non uniformly wound solenoid (no Mag. field?)

In summary, the conversation discusses two solenoids made with the same amount of wire and identical bobbins. One was wound uniformly and tightly, resulting in a strong magnetic field capable of pulling a steel rod into the core. The other was wound haphazardly and had a much weaker field, potentially due to the direction of winding or wire breakage. The number of turns and current are the key factors in determining the strength of the magnetic field.
ifwade
I made two solenoids using the same amount of wire (1000ft of 24 AWG) around 2 identical bobbins. One of them I painstakingly wound the wire uniformly and tightly. This solenoid is strong enough to pull a steel rod into the middle of the core.

The other I haphazardly wound as fast and randomly as possible to see what the difference in the magnetic field would be. This solenoid had almost no detectable field. The only way I could detect any magnetic force was by holding a compass at one of the ends of the solenoid and the needle did allign itself wih the field.

Should the field be dramatically weaker when the solenoid is not uniformly wound? I fear that maybe I accidently reversed the direction I was winding during the winding process.

Also if the field is dramatically weaker what causes this? I thought perhaps it was because the magnetic fields of each current loop partially cancel out thus weakening the field, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing that matters is the number of turns/length and the current.
If you have managed to wind an equal number of turns each way then you won't have a field - you might also have broken the wire and are only getting a very small current leaking the through the insulation.

I see, thanks.

1. What is a non-uniformly wound solenoid?

A non-uniformly wound solenoid is an electromagnetic coil that has been wound in a way that the spacing between the wire is not consistent. This can lead to variations in the magnetic field produced by the solenoid.

2. What is the purpose of a non-uniformly wound solenoid?

A non-uniformly wound solenoid can be used to produce a magnetic field that varies in strength along its length. This can be useful in certain applications, such as particle accelerators or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

3. How is a non-uniformly wound solenoid different from a uniformly wound solenoid?

A uniformly wound solenoid has evenly spaced wire windings, resulting in a consistent magnetic field along its length. In contrast, a non-uniformly wound solenoid has variations in the spacing of the wire windings, leading to a non-uniform magnetic field.

4. What factors can affect the magnetic field of a non-uniformly wound solenoid?

The magnetic field produced by a non-uniformly wound solenoid can be affected by the spacing and distribution of the wire windings, the current flowing through the coil, and the material used for the core of the solenoid.

5. What are some potential applications of a non-uniformly wound solenoid?

Non-uniformly wound solenoids are commonly used in particle accelerators, MRI machines, and in scientific research to produce varying magnetic fields. They can also be used in industrial applications such as controlling the motion of metal objects or in magnetic levitation devices.