How can I find the mechanical energy lost due to friction?

• Thread starter johny_doe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, to find the mechanical energy lost due to friction, you need to first determine the velocity of the block, which can be found using the final velocity formula instead of the average velocity formula. Alternatively, you can use the acceleration of the block, along with the slope component of the mass and the friction force, to calculate the work done by friction.
johny_doe
Find the mechanical energy lost due to friction:

Starting from rest a 5.0kg block slides 2.5m down a rough 30.0 degree incline in 2.0s.

I know that the PE is 61.3 J. I keep on getting about -57 J when I try to find the mechanical energy lost due to friction but the answer is actually -45 J. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong. This is how I was trying to find it:

W = KEf - PEi
= .5mv^2-mgy
= .5(5.0kg)(2.5m/2.0s)^2 - (5.0kg)(9.8)(sin30*2.5m)

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the PE.

You are asked to find the energy lost due friction. So you have to find the friction, that's all.

The block is sliding down a plane. What are the forces acting on it ?
Use Newton's 3rd law to devlop an eqn of motion.
You can find out the unknowns in this eqn by using the data about motion already given.

Your velocity calculation is wrong. You are calculating the average velocity, but you want the final velocity for the kinetic energy.

So instead of s/t, you'd want 2s/t (from S = t(u+v)/2). I get 45.6J.

The other method is to determine the acceleration of the block, then the frictional force, then the work. I don't exactly understand Fermat's suggestion. Actually, I think he was suggest this approach, that you use the acceleration to find the frictional force.

Last edited:
I'll clarify my approach. :smile:
Fermat said:
...The block is sliding down a plane. What are the forces acting on it ?
There are two forces. The slope component of the mass, Fm say, acting down the plane and the friction force, Fr say, acting up the plane. The net force on the body is Fnet = Fm - Fr.
Fermat said:
...Use Newton's 3rd law to devlop an eqn of motion...
i.e F= ma
or
Fnet = ma
Fermat said:
...You can find out the unknowns in this eqn by using the data about motion already given.
You can do this bit now, yes ?

1. What is a nonconservative force?

A nonconservative force is a type of force that does not conserve mechanical energy. This means that the work done by the force is dependent on the path taken by the object rather than just the initial and final positions. Examples of nonconservative forces include friction, air resistance, and tension in a rope.

2. How is a nonconservative force different from a conservative force?

A conservative force is a type of force that conserves mechanical energy. This means that the work done by the force is independent of the path taken by the object and only depends on the initial and final positions. Examples of conservative forces include gravity and elastic forces.

3. What is the effect of nonconservative forces on an object's mechanical energy?

Nonconservative forces can either increase or decrease an object's mechanical energy. For example, friction can decrease an object's mechanical energy by converting it into heat, while a nonconservative force like a rocket engine can increase an object's mechanical energy by performing work on it.

4. How do you calculate work done by a nonconservative force?

The work done by a nonconservative force is calculated by integrating the force over the distance traveled. This means that the work done depends on the path taken by the object. The work done by a conservative force, on the other hand, can be calculated using only the initial and final positions of the object.

5. What are some real-world examples of nonconservative forces?

Some real-world examples of nonconservative forces include friction between a car's tires and the road, air resistance on a falling object, and drag force on a moving object in a fluid. Nonconservative forces play a significant role in many everyday activities, such as driving a car or throwing a ball.