Nonlinear electric susceptibility and degenerate frequencies

In summary, the conversation discussed the distinguishability of frequencies in the nonlinear electric susceptibility tensor. It was mentioned that for a second harmonic generation process with two collinear beams of the same polarization and frequency, there is only one susceptibility component. However, if the beams propagate to different directions, they must be labeled as different frequencies and result in four components. The experts also discussed the effective susceptibility and its relation to the polarization and fields of the beams. It was suggested to consult "Applied Nonlinear Optics" for further derivation.
Yorre
Hi there,

I'm having a little trouble understanding the "distinguishability" of frequencies in the nonlinear electric susceptibility tensor. As far as I understand, if we have a SHG process with two collinear beams of the same polarization and frequency ω, there is only one susceptibility component 2ω;ω,ω. But if these beams propagate to different directions, still with the same frequency ω, must we label the frequencies as ω1 and ω2 and end up with components 2ω;ω1,ω1 , 2ω;ω2,ω2 , 2ω;ω1,ω2 and 2ω;ω2,ω1? So can the propagation alone make the beams distinct?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The second order susceptibility, as well as susceptibility in the other orders, are material specific and is not dependent on the external field. So, I believe propagation direction should not change the value of ##\chi^{(2)}(2\omega;\omega,\omega)##. The quantities which will look different for different propagation alignments are, among others, the effective susceptibility and the phase matching condition.

Likes Yorre
Thanks for the reply, blue_leaf. So when calculating the NL source polarization, the complex amplitudes of the two fields create four propagation terms (1,1), (1,2), (2,1), (2,2) and four phase matching conditions, while the effective susceptibility can be taken as the common factor when both fields have the same polarization?

Sorry, I forgot that the effective susceptibility ##d_{eff}## was defined when the two beams are propagating in the same direction, and it reads
$$
P(\omega_3) = d_{eff}E(\omega_1)E(\omega_2)
$$
where ##P(\omega_3) = |\mathbf{P}(\omega_3)|## and ##E(\omega_i) = |\mathbf{E}(\omega_i)|##. For crossing beams, I am not sure if you can derive a similar expression which relates the magnitudes of the polarization and fields like that above. An example of the derivation of ##d_{eff}## can be found in "Applied Nonlinear Optics" by Zernike and Midwinter for some cases. May be you can derive ##d_{eff}## for general case of crossing beams.

1. What is nonlinear electric susceptibility?

Nonlinear electric susceptibility is a measure of the change in polarization of a material in response to an applied electric field. It describes the relationship between the electric field and the induced polarization, and it varies depending on the intensity of the applied field.

2. How does nonlinear electric susceptibility differ from linear electric susceptibility?

Linear electric susceptibility refers to the relationship between the electric field and the polarization in materials that exhibit a linear response (i.e. the polarization is directly proportional to the applied electric field). Nonlinear electric susceptibility, on the other hand, describes the behavior of materials that exhibit a nonlinear response, meaning the polarization is not directly proportional to the applied electric field.

3. What are degenerate frequencies in the context of nonlinear electric susceptibility?

Degenerate frequencies refer to the situation where two or more different frequencies of an applied electric field result in the same nonlinear electric susceptibility. This can occur in materials with specific symmetries and can have important implications for their nonlinear optical properties.

4. How is nonlinear electric susceptibility measured?

Nonlinear electric susceptibility can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as second-harmonic generation, third-harmonic generation, or four-wave mixing. These techniques involve applying an intense electric field with multiple frequencies to the material and measuring the resulting polarization or optical signal.

5. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear electric susceptibility?

Nonlinear electric susceptibility plays a crucial role in many technological applications, including optical communications, laser technology, and photovoltaic devices. It is also essential in studying fundamental physical phenomena, such as the nonlinear response of materials to intense laser fields.