Nonlinear second order differential equation

In summary, the equation y=x^m does not have a solution at the singular point x=0. Multiple by x and you will have a Cauchy Euler equation.
mumaga
I am having a problem finding the solution for this eq:

y''(x)+(2/x)y'(x)+(w^2)y(x)=0

I couldn't find examples in the textbook that goes on a similar line, and have been searching the internet as well, but no use. I am thinking of using substitution v=y' but not sure how to do that in the presence of y??

any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is w a constant? You could always multiple by x and you would have a Cauchy-Euler type.

Last edited:
Yes w is a constant! thank you VERY much Dustinsfl! I am now reading about the Cauchy-euler equations and how to solve them!

very appreciated! :)

ahh, just checked the cauchy-euler equation, and from what i understood it does not apply in this case! as the x is in the denominator and only in the second term!

mumaga said:
ahh, just checked the cauchy-euler equation, and from what i understood it does not apply in this case! as the x is in the denominator and only in the second term!

Multiple by x.

I did, but substituting for trial solutions does not deal to cancelling x, for example y=x^m, you will have x left,,

May be you can try reduction of order.

tried that, no implicit solution,,,

I should point out that this is NOT a "non-linear" equation. It is a linear equation with variable coefficients. The standard method for such equations is to use a "power series"

I would start by multiplying both sides by x, as Dustinsfl suggested, but that does NOT give a "Cauchy Euler equation", we get, rather, [itex]xy''+ 2y'+ \omega^2 xy= 0[/itex]. That is not a "Cauchy-Euler equation" because the coefficient of y'' is x, not x2. We could get that by multipling both sides by x2 but then the coefficient of y is [itex]x^2[/itex] also.

Because that "1/x" is undefined at 0, and, after multipying by x the coefficient of y'' is 0 at x= 0, x= 0 is a "regular singular point" and should use "Frobenius' method" rather than a regular power seties. That is, we look for a solution of the form [itex]y= \sum_{n= 0}^\infty a_nx^{n+ c}[/itex] where "c" is not necessarily a positive integer (not necessariy an integer).

Differentiating term by term, [itex]y'= \sum_{n=0}^\infty(c+n)a_nx^{n+c- 1}[/itex] and [itex]y''= \sum_{n=0}^\infty(n+c)(n+ c- 1)a_nx^{n+ c- 2}[/itex]
Putting those into the equation, we have
[itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+c)(n+c-1)a_nx^{n+ c- 1}+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty 2(n+ c)x^{n+ c- 1}+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \omega^2 a_n x^{n+c+ 1}[/itex].

The lowest power will occur when n= 0 which would give power [itex]x^{c- 1}[/itex] in the first and second terms, [itex]x^{c+1}[/itex] for the last term. That is, the lowest power wil be [itex]x^{c- 1}[/itex] and its coefficient will be [itex]c(c-1)a_0+ 2ca_0= (c(c- 1)+ 2c)a_0= (c^2+ c)a_0= 0[/itex]. . We could choose values of c so that the first, "i" terms were 0 but, in order to be specific we we choose so that the very first term, [itex]a_0[/itex] is NOT 0. In order for that to be true we must have [itex]c^2+ c= 0[/itex]. This is called the "indicial equation". Obviously c= 0 and c= -1 satisfy this.

Putting c= 0 and then c= -1 into the equations for the coefficients leads to recursive equations for [itex]a_n[/itex]. Does any of that sound familiar to you?

Related to Nonlinear second order differential equation

1. What is a nonlinear second order differential equation?

A nonlinear second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives up to the second order, and contains terms that are not directly proportional to the function or its derivatives. This means that the equation cannot be solved using standard methods for linear equations.

2. How is a nonlinear second order differential equation different from a linear one?

A linear second order differential equation only contains terms that are directly proportional to the function and its derivatives, while a nonlinear equation contains additional terms that are not proportional. This makes nonlinear equations more complex and difficult to solve.

3. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear second order differential equations?

Nonlinear second order differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They can be used to model complex systems and phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics.

4. How do you solve a nonlinear second order differential equation?

Unlike linear equations, there is no general method for solving nonlinear second order differential equations. However, there are various techniques that can be used depending on the specific equation, such as substitution, separation of variables, and numerical methods.

5. What are the limitations of using nonlinear second order differential equations?

Nonlinear second order differential equations are often difficult to solve and may not have exact solutions. In addition, they may not accurately represent real-world systems due to the simplifications and assumptions made in the model. Therefore, their results should be carefully interpreted and validated with experimental data.