1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear second order differential equation

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    I am having a problem finding the solution for this eq:

y''(x)+(2/x)y'(x)+(w^2)y(x)=0

I couldnt find examples in the text book that goes on a similar line, and have been searching the internet as well, but no use. I am thinking of using substitution v=y' but not sure how to do that in the presence of y??

any help would be much appreciated!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2
    Is w a constant? You could always multiple by x and you would have a Cauchy-Euler type.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    Yes w is a constant! thank you VERY much Dustinsfl! I am now reading about the Cauchy-euler equations and how to solve them!

very appreciated!!! :)

5. Nov 11, 2012 #4
    ahh, just checked the cauchy-euler equation, and from what i understood it does not apply in this case! as the x is in the denominator and only in the second term!

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5
    Multiple by x.

7. Nov 11, 2012 #6
    I did, but substituting for trial solutions does not deal to cancelling x, for example y=x^m, you will have x left,,

8. Nov 11, 2012 #7
    May be you can try reduction of order.

9. Nov 11, 2012 #8
    tried that, no implicit solution,,,

10. Nov 12, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I should point out that this is NOT a "non-linear" equation. It is a linear equation with variable coefficients. The standard method for such equations is to use a "power series"

I would start by multiplying both sides by x, as Dustinsfl suggested, but that does NOT give a "Cauchy Euler equation", we get, rather, [itex]xy''+ 2y'+ \omega^2 xy= 0[/itex]. That is not a "Cauchy-Euler equation" because the coefficient of y'' is x, not x2. We could get that by multipling both sides by x2 but then the coefficient of y is [itex]x^2[/itex] also.

Because that "1/x" is undefined at 0, and, after multipying by x the coefficient of y'' is 0 at x= 0, x= 0 is a "regular singular point" and should use "Frobenius' method" rather than a regular power seties. That is, we look for a solution of the form [itex]y= \sum_{n= 0}^\infty a_nx^{n+ c}[/itex] where "c" is not necessarily a positive integer (not necessariy an integer).

Differentiating term by term, [itex]y'= \sum_{n=0}^\infty(c+n)a_nx^{n+c- 1}[/itex] and [itex]y''= \sum_{n=0}^\infty(n+c)(n+ c- 1)a_nx^{n+ c- 2}[/itex]
    Putting those into the equation, we have
    [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+c)(n+c-1)a_nx^{n+ c- 1}+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty 2(n+ c)x^{n+ c- 1}+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \omega^2 a_n x^{n+c+ 1}[/itex].

The lowest power will occur when n= 0 which would give power [itex]x^{c- 1}[/itex] in the first and second terms, [itex]x^{c+1}[/itex] for the last term. That is, the lowest power wil be [itex]x^{c- 1}[/itex] and its coefficient will be [itex]c(c-1)a_0+ 2ca_0= (c(c- 1)+ 2c)a_0= (c^2+ c)a_0= 0[/itex]. . We could choose values of c so that the first, "i" terms were 0 but, in order to be specific we we choose so that the very first term, [itex]a_0[/itex] is NOT 0. In order for that to be true we must have [itex]c^2+ c= 0[/itex]. This is called the "indicial equation". Obviously c= 0 and c= -1 satisfy this.

Putting c= 0 and then c= -1 into the equations for the coefficients leads to recursive equations for [itex]a_n[/itex]. Does any of that sound familiar to you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook