Solving Nonlinear System: \alpha,\beta,\gamma from A,B,C

In summary: Once you solve for \alpha, you can plug that into the equations for \beta and \gamma to get their values in terms of A, B, and C. This will give you the solution to the system of equations. In summary, the system of equations can be solved by using the quadratic formula to solve for \beta in terms of \alpha, then using that to solve for \gamma in terms of \alpha, and finally using all three in the equation for \alpha to solve for \alpha. This will give the values of α, β, and γ in terms of A, B, and C.
Bruno Tolentino
I have this system of equation: [tex] A = \frac{\alpha + \beta + \gamma}{3}[/tex] [tex] B = \sqrt[2]{\frac{\beta \gamma + \gamma \alpha + \alpha \beta}{3}}[/tex] [tex] C = \sqrt[3]{\alpha \beta \gamma}[/tex] And I want to solve this system for α, β and γ. In other words, I want to express α, β and γ in terms of A, B and C.

[tex] \alpha = \alpha (A,B,C)[/tex][tex] \beta = \beta (A,B,C)[/tex][tex] \gamma = \gamma (A,B,C)[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is your question or discussion point?
There is an obvious way to start solving it.

If α and β are the roots of the quadratic equation and A and B are the arithmetic and geometric mean, respectively, so, the quadratic formula becomes: [tex] A \pm \sqrt{A^2-B^2} [/tex]. I'm trying to solve the cubic equation in the same way...

I would introduce new variables for B2 and C3. Solving the third equation for one variable and plugging it into another equation gives a quadratic equation for a second variable, which can be plugged into the third equation. If that has a degree of at most 4, there is an analytic solution in closed form, otherwise I doubt there is a way to solve it (because a solution would then probably allow to solve equations that are proven to have no closed analytic solution).

Bruno Tolentino said:
I have this system of equation: [tex] A = \frac{\alpha + \beta + \gamma}{3}[/tex] [tex] B = \sqrt[2]{\frac{\beta \gamma + \gamma \alpha + \alpha \beta}{3}}[/tex] [tex] C = \sqrt[3]{\alpha \beta \gamma}[/tex] And I want to solve this system for α, β and γ. In other words, I want to express α, β and γ in terms of A, B and C.

[tex] \alpha = \alpha (A,B,C)[/tex][tex] \beta = \beta (A,B,C)[/tex][tex] \gamma = \gamma (A,B,C)[/tex]
So, essentially, you want to solve
[tex]\alpha+ \beta+ \gamma= 3A[/tex]
[tex]\alpha\beta+ \alpha\gamma+ \beta\gamma= 9B^2[/tex]
[tex]\alpha\beta\gamma= C^3[/tex]
and since A, B, and C are given values, so are 3A, [itex]9B^2[/itex], and [itex]C^3[/itex].

From [itex]\alpha\beta\gamma=C^3[/itex], [itex]\gamma= \frac{C^3}{\alpha\beta}[/itex]
so [itex]\alpha\beta+ \frac{C^3}{\beta}+ \frac{C^3}{\alpha}= 9B^2[/itex]
Multiplying by [itex]\alpha\beta[/itex], [itex]\alpha^2\beta^2+ C^3\alpha+ C^3\beta= 9B^2\alpha\beta[/itex].

We can write that as [itex]\alpha^2\beta^2+ C^3\beta+ (C^3\alpha- 9B^2\alpha)= 0[/itex] and use the quadratic formula to solve for [itex]\beta[/itex] in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex], then put that into [itex]\gamma= \frac{C^3}{\alpha\beta}[/itex] to get [itex]\gamma[/itex] in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex] only.

Finally, put those into [itex]\alpha+ \beta+ \gamma= 3A[/itex] to get an equation in [itex]\alpha[/itex] only.

Likes Bruno Tolentino

1. What is a nonlinear system?

A nonlinear system is a type of mathematical model that does not follow the principle of superposition, meaning that the output is not directly proportional to the input. This means that the relationships between the variables in the system are not linear and may be more complex.

2. What are \alpha, \beta, and \gamma in a nonlinear system?

In a nonlinear system, these symbols represent the parameters or constants that are used to describe the relationships between the variables. They can also be thought of as the coefficients in the equations that describe the system.

3. How do you solve for \alpha, \beta, and \gamma in a nonlinear system?

The process of solving for these parameters involves using a combination of mathematical techniques such as substitution, elimination, and iteration. It may also require the use of computer software or numerical methods to find the most accurate solutions.

4. What is the importance of solving for \alpha, \beta, and \gamma in a nonlinear system?

By solving for these parameters, we can better understand the behavior of the system and make predictions about how it will change over time. This can be useful in a variety of fields, such as physics, chemistry, economics, and engineering.

5. What are some challenges in solving for \alpha, \beta, and \gamma in a nonlinear system?

One of the main challenges is that there is no single, universal method for solving nonlinear systems. It often requires a combination of analytical and numerical techniques, and the complexity of the system may make it difficult to find accurate solutions. Additionally, the presence of multiple variables and parameters can make it challenging to isolate and solve for specific values.