Normal component of the acceleration

In summary: When you are done, you should get the acceleration vector as a vector sum of the tangential and normal components. The tangential component is in the direction of the velocity and the normal component is in the direction perpendicular to the velocity. The normal component is the one you are asked to find. I have a question, however. I don't know if this is a typo or if you really meant to have three different x values. x= 4m, x= 7m/s, and x= 2m/s^2 doesn't make any sense to me. You can't have three different quantities with different units all equal to each other. If this is a typo, we need
Sheen91

Homework Statement

Given y[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 8x[tex]^{3}[/tex] + 8x

where x and y are in metres, and y is positive

What is the normal component of the acceleration

When x = 4m, x = 7m/s, x = 2m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Note : Wasn't sure if it was Calc or Physics, but I was leaning toward Calc, as it is basically Algebra to solve for the answer.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that "x = 4m, x = 7m/s, x = 2m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]" is just "y[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 8x[tex]^{3}[/tex] + 8x" getting differentiated for each part, first of which doesn't need it.

y[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 8x[tex]^{3}[/tex] + 8x => y = ([tex]\sqrt{8x^3 + 8x}[/tex])

I am just a little lost at "What is the normal component of the acceleration"

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheen91 said:

Homework Statement

Given y[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 8x[tex]^{3}[/tex] + 8x

where x and y are in metres, and y is positive

What is the normal component of the acceleration

When x = 4m, x = 7m/s, x = 2m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]
These should probably be "... when x = 4m, dx/dt = 7 m/sec, and d^2x/dt^2 = 2m/sec^2. You can't have x being equal to three different quantities with three different units.
Sheen91 said:
Note : Wasn't sure if it was Calc or Physics, but I was leaning toward Calc, as it is basically Algebra to solve for the answer.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that "x = 4m, x = 7m/s, x = 2m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]" is just "y[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 8x[tex]^{3}[/tex] + 8x" getting differentiated for each part, first of which doesn't need it.
Are you sure that you are giving us the exact wording of this problem? It doesn't make much sense to me as you have written it.
Sheen91 said:
y[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 8x[tex]^{3}[/tex] + 8x => y = ([tex]\sqrt{8x^3 + 8x}[/tex])

I am just a little lost at "What is the normal component of the acceleration"

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If this is not a trajectory in the plane, then the problem makes no sense- there is no "normal component". If it is a trajectory then you need to find the acceleration as the vector [itex](d^2x/dt^2}\vec{i}+ (d^2y/dt^2)\vec{j}[/itex]. Of course, to do that, you have to know the dependence of x and y on t.

Knowing that [itex]y^2= 8x^3+ 8x[/itex] tells you that [itex]2y(dy/dt)= (24x^2+ 8)(dx/dt)[/itex] but uyou still need to know or be able to calculate either dy/dt or dx/dt.

I agree with Mark44- please give the exact wording of the problem. "When x = 4m, x = 7m/s, x = 2m/s2" is impossible.

I came across the same question. Sheen has typed the entire question. Only mistake being the repeated x. Which was meant to be x, x' and x''.
I derived the equation twice and subbed in the given x values as i derived to get the corresponding y values. i.e. i solved for y, y' and y". Is this right?
If this is right i still get stuck on how to find the normal component.

Hint: Since the motion is confined to a plane, the acceleration can be resolved into two components, the tangential component parallel to the velocity and the normal component perpendicular to the velocity.

***Post removed***

Last edited:
y² = 8x³ + 8x

2y dy/dt = (24x² + 8) dx/dt

Velocity = sqrt ( (dx/dt)² + (dy/dt)² )

Acceleration = sqrt ( (d²x/dt²)² + (d²y/dt²)² ) = ? :S (not sure)

2 d²y/dt² = 48x d²x/dt²

d²y/dt² = 24x d²x/dt²

Therefore:

Acceleration = sqrt ( (d²x/dt²)² + (d²y/dt²)² ) = sqrt( (d²x/dt²)² + (24x . d²x/dt²)² ) = sqrt ( 2² + (24 . 4 . 2)²) = sqrt ( 36868 ) = 192.01 m/s/s

Which doesn't seem right. :S

Can someone look through and see if I did anything wrong. Thank you

PS: I need to find the normal component of the acceleration, so I have yet to start that

Last edited:
Sheen91 said:
y² = 8x³ + 8x

This is good. Come up with numerical answers for what y and y' equal given the information you have about x and x'.

Sheen91 said:

2 d²y/dt² = 48x d²x/dt²
That's not right. You have to use the product rule.

Sorry I don't understand how, do I use the product rule in that??

Thanks for all the help so far vela, I really appreciate it

EDIT:
uhmm ohh wait

dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt)

dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt) = (24x² + 8) / 2y

d²y/dx² = ( (48x . 2y) - 2(24x² + 8)dy/dx ) / 4y²

I am a little lost.

Last edited:
vela said:
This is good. Come up with numerical answers for what y and y' equal given the information you have about x and x'.

y = sqrt (8x³ + 8x) = sqrt (8.4³ + 8.4) = sqrt (544) = 23.324

y' = (24x² + 8) x' / 2y = 58.82

now what?

I am unsure on how to find the "Normal component of the Acceleration"

Vela can you let me know what to do step by step, rather than just one step at a time. I would really apreciate that.

I also got the numerical values of y and y', and am once again stuck.

Also how do I use the product rule on : 2y dy/dt = (24x² + 8) dx/dt

Have never been taught.

I think I got it:

Product rule

(2 dy/dt) . dy/dt + d²y/dt² = (48x . dx/dt) + ( (24x² + 8) . d²x/dt²)

so that means:

d²y/dt² = (48x . dx/dt) + ( (24x² + 8) . d²x/dt²) - (2 dy/dt) . dy/dt

d²y/dt² = -4791.58

That seems very wrong.

Also after you get d²y/dt² and d²x/dt², what do you do? How do you find the normal component?

Last edited:
Sheen91 said:
I think I got it:

Product rule

(2 dy/dt) . dy/dt + d²y/dt² = (48x . dx/dt) + ( (24x² + 8) . d²x/dt²)
You forgot the 2y in front of y''. The RHS looks okay.
Also after you get d²y/dt² and d²x/dt², what do you do? How do you find the normal component?
You have the two vectors a=axx+ayy and v=vxx+vyy. What you want to do is resolve a into components parallel and perpendicular to v. So how do you find the component of a parallel to v? Hint: Use the dot product.

Drawing a vector diagram for this question helps ALOT. It helped me solve it =]

What is the normal component of the acceleration?

The normal component of the acceleration refers to the component of an object's acceleration that is perpendicular to its velocity. It is also known as centripetal acceleration and is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion.

How is the normal component of the acceleration calculated?

The normal component of the acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where "a" represents the acceleration, "v" represents the velocity, and "r" represents the radius of the circular motion.

What is the difference between tangential and normal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration refers to the component of an object's acceleration that is parallel to its velocity, while normal acceleration is perpendicular to its velocity. Tangential acceleration is responsible for changing the speed of an object, while normal acceleration is responsible for changing the direction of an object's motion.

How does the normal component of the acceleration affect an object's motion?

The normal component of the acceleration is responsible for changing the direction of an object's motion, keeping it in circular motion. Without this acceleration, an object would continue in a straight line, rather than following a curved path.

Can the normal component of the acceleration be negative?

Yes, the normal component of the acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the acceleration is directed away from the center of the circular motion, causing the object to move in an outward direction.