How to reduce the standard deviation to ensure 99% of rods are within tolerance?

In summary, the plastic rods have a nominal length of 6 inches and their actual lengths are normally distributed with a mean of 6 inches and a standard deviation of 0.06 inch. To ensure that 99% of the rods are within tolerance, the standard deviation needs to be reduced to 0.03 inch.
beanryu

Homework Statement

Plastic rods are cut into nominal length of 6 inches. Actual lengths are normally distributed about a mean of 6 inches and their standard deviation is 0.06 inch.

Question: To what value does the standard deviation need to be reduced if 99% of the rods must be within tolerance?

Homework Equations

sd=standard deviation
u=mean
P(a<X<=b)=F((b-u)/(sd))-F((a-u)/(sd))

The Attempt at a Solution

since they want the possibility of rods to be between u+sd and u-sd to be 0.99, b=u+sd and a=u-sd
and the equation will become
P(a<X<=b)=F((u+sd-u)/(sd))-F((u-sd-u)/(sd))
F(1)-F(-1) doesn't equal to 0.99.

Am I misinterpreting the word tolerance?
I don't know what else to try... please help thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i misread the problem...

1. What is the Normal Distribution?

The Normal Distribution, also known as the Gaussian Distribution, is a probability distribution that is bell-shaped and symmetrical. It is used to model many real-world phenomena, such as height, weight, and test scores.

2. How is the Normal Distribution defined?

The Normal Distribution is defined by two parameters: the mean, which represents the center of the distribution, and the standard deviation, which measures the spread of the data around the mean. The equation for the Normal Distribution is:

where is the mean and is the standard deviation.

3. What are the properties of the Normal Distribution?

The Normal Distribution is symmetrical, with the mean, median, and mode all equal. It is also asymptotic, meaning that the tails of the distribution approach but never touch the x-axis. Additionally, approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, and approximately 95% falls within two standard deviations.

4. How is the Normal Distribution used in statistics?

The Normal Distribution is used in statistics to make predictions and in hypothesis testing. Many statistical tests, such as the t-test and ANOVA, assume that the data is normally distributed. It is also used in the Central Limit Theorem, which states that the means of samples from any distribution will follow a Normal Distribution.

5. How can I identify if my data follows a Normal Distribution?

The easiest way to identify if your data follows a Normal Distribution is to create a histogram or a box plot and visually inspect the shape of the distribution. If it is bell-shaped and symmetrical, then it is likely to follow a Normal Distribution. Additionally, you can use statistical tests, such as the Shapiro-Wilk test, to determine if your data is normally distributed.