1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Force at the bottom of a Ferris Wheel

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A student of weight 678 N rides a steadily rotating Ferris wheel (the student sits upright). At the highest point, the magnitude of the normal force N on the student from the seat is 565 N. (a) What is the magnitude of N at the lowest point? If the wheel's speed is doubled, what is the magnitude FN at the (b) highest and (c) lowest point?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So M = 678N, NTop = 565N. Fc = mg - Ntop = 6079.4
    So Nbottom = Nbottom - mg = 6079.4 which leads Nbottom to = 12723.8 but this is incorrect. Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

At the top, normal force, weight, and acceleration all point down:
    N + mg = mv^2/r; so N = mv^2/r - mg

At the bottom, normal force and acceleration point up, but weight points down:
    N - mg = mv^2/r; so N = mv^2/r + mg

4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    I really don't need all that though do I? If I do how am I going to solved for v^2 or r? I only have one equation and two unknowns. At best I'd have Ntop+Nbottom = mv^2/r.

5. Feb 18, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yep. It's the easy way!
    No need to solve for those.

Examining those expressions for N, how does Nbottom compare to Ntop? (Hint: What's Nbottom - Ntop?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?