Normal force at the top of a loop the loop

So the correct equation for (b) is N = 2869.9 N. In summary, for a car driving over a hill with a circular arc shape, with a radius of 65.0 m, a constant speed of 14.0 m/s, and a mass of 423 kg, the magnitude of the (a) centripetal force on the car at the top of the hill is 1275.5 N and the (b) normal force exerted on the car by the road at this point is 2869.9 N. The correct equation for (b) is N = (mv^2)/r - mg.
BikeSmoth

Homework Statement

A car drives over a hill that is shaped as a circular arc with radius 65.0 m. The car has a constant speed of 14.0 m/s and a mass of 423 kg. What is the magnitude of (a) the centripetal force on the car at the top of the hill and (b) the normal force exerted on the car by the road at this point?

Homework Equations

F=(mv^2)/r
(mv^2)/r=mg+N

The Attempt at a Solution

so i have answered (a) correctly with F=1275.5N, but I am not sure if I have the correct equation for (b) with the equation above I got N=-2869.9N

Physics news on Phys.org
You're algebra is good, so your numbers should be good too.

(mv^2)/r=mg+N

No,

[tex] m \frac{v^2}{r} = N - mg [/tex]

Try drawing a picture and the equation becomes clear.

Good catch, I didn't notice the wrong sign, my bad.

1. What is normal force at the top of a loop the loop?

The normal force at the top of a loop the loop is the force that acts perpendicular to the surface of the loop, keeping an object in circular motion. It is also known as the centripetal force.

2. How is normal force calculated at the top of a loop the loop?

The normal force at the top of a loop the loop can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where F is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the loop.

3. What happens to normal force at the top of a loop the loop when the velocity changes?

As the velocity changes, the normal force at the top of a loop the loop also changes. If the velocity decreases, the normal force will decrease, and if the velocity increases, the normal force will increase.

4. How does the radius of the loop affect the normal force at the top?

The radius of the loop is directly proportional to the normal force at the top. This means that as the radius increases, the normal force also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the normal force at the top of a loop the loop be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the normal force at the top of a loop the loop can be greater than the weight of the object. This is because the normal force is dependent on the velocity and radius of the loop, which can be adjusted to be greater than the weight of the object.