Normal Forces Between Two People on Top of each other

In summary: The \Sigma \vec F in " \Sigma \vec F = m \vec a " actually means something. It is not put there to say the equation is balanced or the equation makes sense, rather it is there because it is a part of the equation itself. Let's break it down: \sum_i \vec F_i = m \vec a It means, "The (vector) sum of all forces acting on a body is equal to the body's mass times its acceleration."Another way to say "The sum of all forces" is \sum_i \vec F_i \Longleftrightarrow \vec F_1 + \vec F_2
Soniteflash

Homework Statement

During an extreme stunt, a 45 kg cheerleader stands on the shoulders of a 55 kg cheerleader, while riding in a transparent elevator with an upward acceleration of 2 m/s2. Find the normal force between the cheerleaders and between the elevator and the bottom cheerleader.

Homework Equations

F=ma
∑F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram first to identify all forces.

For the first part I came up with this equation:
∑F= Fn - mg = ma
∑F= Fn = mg + ma
∑F= Fn = m(g + a)
45 kg ( 9.81 + 2 )
= 531.45 N​

For the second part I came up with this equation:
∑F= Fn - mg = ma
Fn = mg + ma
Fn = m (g + a)
100(11.8)
M of cheerleader 1 and 2: 45 kg + 55 kg =100
= 1181 N​
Did I interpret the problem correctly? I always get confused when it comes to normal forces between two objects...

Physics news on Phys.org
That seems correct to me.

Likes Soniteflash
Soniteflash said:

Homework Statement

During an extreme stunt, a 45 kg cheerleader stands on the shoulders of a 55 kg cheerleader, while riding in a transparent elevator with an upward acceleration of 2 m/s2. Find the normal force between the cheerleaders and between the elevator and the bottom cheerleader.

Homework Equations

F=ma
∑F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram first to identify all forces.

∑F= Fn - mg = ma
∑F= Fn = mg + ma
∑F= Fn = m(g + a)
45 kg ( 9.81 + 2 )
= 531.45 N​

For the second part I came up with this equation:
∑F= Fn - mg = ma
Fn = mg + ma
Fn = m (g + a)
100(11.8)
M of cheerleader 1 and 2: 45 kg + 55 kg =100
= 1181 N​
Did I interpret the problem correctly? I always get confused when it comes to normal forces between two objects...
For the person on the bottom, you may want to use two normal forces, the one from the top person, which you already know is equal in magnitude and opposite direction to the normal force on the top person. The other is the one you are already using, coming from below. This allows you to isolate the forces acting soly on the bottom person.

I think the others have helped you with the answer. :wink:

On a different note, I don't mean to be nit-picky, but I'd advise being careful of your notation.

Soniteflash said:
∑F= Fn - mg = ma
The above is good. :smile: That's the correct interpretation of Newton's second law, as applied to this problem.
∑F= Fn = mg + ma
But from here on down (for this part of the problem) you've revised Newton's second law. The way you are using it, you have changed its meaning.

The [itex] \Sigma \vec F [/itex] in "[itex] \Sigma \vec F = m \vec a [/itex]" actually means something. It is not put there to say the equation is balanced or the equation makes sense, rather it is there because it is a part of the equation itself. Let's break it down:

[tex] \sum_i \vec F_i = m \vec a [/tex]

It means, "The (vector) sum of all forces acting on a body is equal to the body's mass times its acceleration."

Another way to say "The sum of all forces" is

[tex] \sum_i \vec F_i \Longleftrightarrow \vec F_1 + \vec F_2 + \vec F_3 + \cdots + \vec F_n [/tex]

(where [itex] \vec F_n [/itex] here isn't necessary the "normal" force, it's just the nth force.) But once you start moving some (but not all) of the forces to the other side of the equation where the [itex] m \vec a [/itex] is, the [itex] \Sigma \vec F [/itex] no longer applies.

Last edited:
Likes Soniteflash and SammyS
SammyS said:
For the person on the bottom, you may want to use two normal forces, the one from the top person, which you already know is equal in magnitude and opposite direction to the normal force on the top person.

I am a bit confused on this part. I don't understand why two normal forces are used and why the top person's normal forces is equal in magnitude and opposite direction to the normal forces on the top person. Is that both referring to the top person?

For the person on the bottom, the combined weight of person in contact with the elevator and the person on top and respecting the upwards acceleration, does that give me the normal force acting on the bottom cheerleader?

Is the normal force experienced by the cheerleader on top 531.45N?
collinsmark said:
I think the others have helped you with the answer. :wink:

On a different note, I don't mean to be nit-picky, but I'd advise being careful of your notation.The above is good. :smile: That's the correct interpretation of Newton's second law, as applied to this problem.

But from here on down (for this part of the problem) you've revised Newton's second law. The way you are using it, you have changed its meaning.

The [itex] \Sigma \vec F [/itex] in "[itex] \Sigma \vec F = m \vec a [/itex]" actually means something. It is not put there to say the equation is balanced or the equation makes sense, rather it is there because it is a part of the equation itself. Let's break it down:

[tex] \sum_i \vec F_i = m \vec a [/tex]

It means, "The (vector) sum of all forces acting on a body is equal to the body's mass times its acceleration."

Another way to say "The sum of all forces" is

[tex] \sum_i \vec F_i \Longleftrightarrow \vec F_1 + \vec F_2 + \vec F_3 + \cdots + \vec F_n [/tex]

(where [itex] \vec F_n [/itex] here isn't necessary the "normal" force, it's just the nth force.) But once you start moving some (but not all) of the forces to the other side of the equation where the [itex] m \vec a [/itex] is, the [itex] \Sigma \vec F [/itex] no longer applies.

I see my mistake. My textbook gave me this equation for apparent weight in an elevator accelerating upwards: Wa - W = ma
So basically I need to leave out the ΣF for correct notation.

Last edited:
Soniteflash said:
I am a bit confused on this part. I don't understand why two normal forces are used and why the top person's normal forces is equal in magnitude and opposite direction to the normal forces on the top person. Is that both referring to the top person?
That's simply Newton's Third Law.

The force that the top person exerts on the bottom person is equal (in magnitude) and opposite (in direction) to

the force that the bottom person exerts on the top person.

Oh, ok that makes sense.

SammyS said:
The other is the one you are already using, coming from below. This allows you to isolate the forces acting soly on the bottom person.

Does this mean that I have to subtract 531.45N from 1181N to get the normal force acting on the bottom person?

Soniteflash said:
Does this mean that I have to subtract 531.45N from 1181N to get the normal force acting on the bottom person?
I wouldn't state it that way. Rather there are two forces in addition to gravity which act on the bottom person. One is the normal force the floor exerts upward, 1181Newtons. The other is the normal force exerted downward by the top person, 531.45Newtons.

I would not lump these together as one single normal force.

This way, when you account for gravity acting on the bottom person you only use that person's weight.

Likes Soniteflash

1. What is a normal force?

A normal force is a force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object. It arises when two objects are in contact with each other.

2. How does a normal force affect two people on top of each other?

The normal force between two people on top of each other is the force that each person exerts on the other. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction for both people, and it helps to support their weight and keep them from falling through each other.

3. How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force can be calculated using the equation FN = mg, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors can affect the normal force between two people?

The normal force between two people can be affected by their individual masses, the surface they are in contact with, and the angle at which they are positioned on top of each other.

5. How does the normal force change as the position of the people on top of each other changes?

The normal force will change as the position of the people on top of each other changes. If they are standing upright, the normal force will be greater compared to if they were lying down. Additionally, if one person moves closer or farther away from the other, the normal force will also change.