Normal force between ball and cone?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to solve a physics problem involving force and motion. The equations f=ma, v^2/r, ∑FX= FN, and ∑Fy= -mg are mentioned. The individual is struggling to find the correct answer and realizes they forgot to include the mass in their calculations. They also mention working on a related topic.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

CONE.PNG

Homework Equations

f=ma
v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

∑FX= FN
∑Fy= -mg
We are not given an angle, i would have put FNcos(θ).
I have my radius as 0.25 by relation of the triangles at that point of the height being .50m
so ∑FX= FN = v^2/r = (1.2)^2/.25 = 6.25N

Attachments

• CONE.PNG
    CONE.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 901
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot the mass...

Ok nevermind i just forgot to multiply by the mass converted to kilograms

wat.PNG

does anyone know why i am only getting partial credit?

Attachments

• wat.PNG
    wat.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 672
isukatphysics69 said:
∑FX= FN
FN is not horizontal.

Likes isukatphysics69
haruspex said:
FN is not horizontal.
Hi yes i marked this one solved guys i figured it out i wasn't thinking it through i needed the components. i have solved it and am now working on some impulse and momentum stuff with exploding objects

I'm sure i will be making another thread in T-15 minutos

Likes Hamza Abbasi

1. What is the normal force between a ball and a cone?

The normal force between a ball and a cone is the force exerted by the cone on the ball, perpendicular to the surface of contact. This force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by the ball on the cone.

2. How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force can be calculated using the formula FN = mg cosθ, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the object's surface and the vertical direction.

3. Does the normal force affect the motion of the ball?

Yes, the normal force affects the motion of the ball. If the normal force is greater than the weight of the ball, it will accelerate upwards. If the normal force is less than the weight of the ball, it will accelerate downwards.

4. How does the normal force change with different cone shapes?

The normal force depends on the surface area of contact between the ball and the cone. Therefore, the normal force will change with different cone shapes as the surface area of contact changes. A wider cone will have a larger surface area of contact and therefore a larger normal force.

5. Is the normal force always equal to the weight of the ball?

No, the normal force is not always equal to the weight of the ball. The normal force is only equal to the weight of the ball when the ball is at rest or moving at a constant velocity. When the ball is accelerating, the normal force will be greater or less than the weight of the ball depending on the direction of the acceleration.