Introductory Physics question in Forces and Works chap.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Halliday that involves calculating the force on a cheese in an elevator cab. The correct equation is determined to be F - (m+M)g = (m+M)a. The reference's explanation is found to be incorrect and the correct equation is confirmed by adding two separate equations for the elevator and cheese. The individual discussing the problem is commended for their accuracy and asked for clarification if needed.
KT KIM
physics_zps3qthmlkr.jpg

First of all, I am not from English-using country so excuse my short english skill.

This is the question from Halliday. I have solved this problem and checked the answer from my reference
which started its statement with below

F + Fn − (m + M)g = (m + M)a
where m = 0.250 kg is the mass of the cheese, M = 900 kg is the mass of the elevator cab,
F is the force from the cable, and 3.00 N, Fn = is the normal force on the cheese.

And I think this explanation is wrong
Shouldn't it be F - (m+M)g = (m+M)a ?
Cuz what I think is
for elevator) F-Mg-Fn=Ma (i)
for cheese ) Fn-mg=ma (ii)
(i)+(ii) -> F - (m+M)g = (m+M)a

If I am wrong, please tell me what is my error.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right and your reference is wrong.

Chet

Thank you for your help!

1. What is the difference between "force" and "work" in physics?

In physics, force is defined as any influence that causes an object to undergo a change in motion, while work is defined as the product of force and distance. In simpler terms, force is what causes an object to move, while work is the result of that movement.

2. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the forces acting on it. To calculate the net force, you need to determine the direction and magnitude of each individual force and then add them together using vector addition.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

4. Can you give an example of a balanced and unbalanced force?

A balanced force is when two equal forces act in opposite directions, resulting in a net force of zero. An example of this is a book sitting on a table. The force of gravity pulling the book down is balanced by the force of the table pushing the book up. An unbalanced force is when one force is greater than another, resulting in a net force and causing an object to accelerate. An example of this is kicking a ball, where the force of your foot is greater than the force of friction, causing the ball to accelerate forward.

5. How does the surface area of an object affect the force of air resistance?

The surface area of an object can affect the force of air resistance because it determines how much air molecules come into contact with the object. The larger the surface area, the more air molecules will collide with the object, resulting in a greater force of air resistance. This is why objects with a larger surface area, like a parachute, experience more air resistance compared to objects with a smaller surface area, like a bullet.