Why is the normal reaction force zero in the absence of any external force?

In summary: In contact between two particles there is always a contact force between them. This force is the sum of the forces of attraction between the particles and is known as the normal force.
Vatsal Goyal

Homework Statement

My question is not a homework problem. I am having difficulty in understanding the concept oof contact forces.

Homework Equations

What I don't understand is that when two bodies A and B are in contact and left on a frictionless surface, they apply normal reactions on each other, then why doesn't that normal reaction force give some acceleration to the blocks and they move away from each other?

The Attempt at a Solution

The only viable solution I can come up with is that the normal reaction is zero, but they why it would be zero I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vatsal Goyal said:

Homework Statement

My question is not a homework problem. I am having difficulty in understanding the concept oof contact forces.

Homework Equations

What I don't understand is that when two bodies A and B are in contact and left on a frictionless surface, they apply normal reactions on each other, then why doesn't that normal reaction force give some acceleration to the blocks and they move away from each other?

The Attempt at a Solution

The only viable solution I can come up with is that the normal reaction is zero, but they why it would be zero I don't know.
When you say they "are in contact and left on a frictionless surface", do you mean that they are moving at constant velocity or accelerating or what? Consider the picture shown below. Let's say that the hand exerts constant force F to the right. The two masses will accelerate to the right with acceleration ##a=F/(m_A+m_B)##.
Block A experiences two horizontal forces, one from the hand and one from Block B. Block B experiences only one horizontal force and that is the contact force exerted on it by block A. It is that contact force that accelerates block B. Now suppose that the hand stops pushing when the blocks reach speed v. Do you see why the contact force is zero after the hand stops pushing?

handon blocks.jpg

Attachments

• handon blocks.jpg
    handon blocks.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 303
Vatsal Goyal said:
the normal reaction is zero, but they why it would be zero
It helps to start with a definition of normal force: it is that force of minimum magnitude necessary to inhibit interpenetration of the objects. In the absence of any force tending to push one into the other there is therefore no normal force.

Last edited:
Likes Vatsal Goyal

1. What is normal reaction doubt?

Normal reaction doubt is a term used in the field of psychology to describe the tendency of individuals to doubt their own perceptions, thoughts, and feelings when faced with conflicting information or when trying to make sense of a situation. It is a normal and common cognitive process that allows us to critically evaluate our thoughts and beliefs.

2. What causes normal reaction doubt?

Normal reaction doubt can be caused by various factors, such as past experiences, societal influences, and personal beliefs. It can also be triggered by situations that challenge our beliefs or perceptions, leading us to question their validity.

3. Is normal reaction doubt a sign of weakness or insecurity?

No, normal reaction doubt is not a sign of weakness or insecurity. It is a natural and healthy response to uncertainty and conflicting information. In fact, being able to doubt and critically evaluate our thoughts and beliefs can help us make better decisions and improve our understanding of the world.

4. How can I manage normal reaction doubt?

To manage normal reaction doubt, it is important to recognize when it is occurring and to question the source of the doubt. It can also be helpful to seek out alternative perspectives and gather more information before making a decision. Additionally, practicing self-compassion and acknowledging that it is normal to have doubts can also help manage this cognitive process.

5. Can normal reaction doubt be beneficial?

Yes, normal reaction doubt can be beneficial as it allows us to critically evaluate our thoughts and beliefs. It can help us identify and correct any biases or false beliefs we may hold, leading to a more accurate understanding of the world. However, it is important to also recognize when normal reaction doubt may be excessive and may be causing unnecessary distress or hindering decision-making.