Normal tangential co-ordinates(ut,un)

• Thread starter princejan7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, the problem involves finding the radius of curvature, p, for a jet in a dive. The pilot's weight is balanced by a force from the pilot's seat and he is also forced to follow a circular path. The component of acceleration perpendicular to the plane's path can be found using (v^2)/p, and can be used to determine the resultant force in the same direction. The polar coordinate system should be used over the normal-tangential coordinate system for problems involving circular motion.
princejan7

Homework Statement

A jet is coming out of a dive and a sensor in the pilots seat measures a force of 800lb for a pilot whose weight is 180lb. If the jet's instruments indicate that the plane is traveling at 850mph, determine the radius of curvature, p, of the plane's path at this instant

Homework Equations

a= (dv/dt)at + ((v^2)/p)an

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think this involves the component of acceleration in the direction perpendicular to the
flights path at that point?

so an=(v^2)/p

But I don't know what an is at that point?Also, for what kind of problems should the polar coordinate system be used over the normal-tangential co-ordinate system?

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/45lhhjrqp/

Homework Equations

same as above question

The Attempt at a Solution

So at B, I think I can find the component of acceleration perpendicular to the path(which will point towards the center in this case?) using (v^2)/p and then use that to find the resultant force in the same direction using RFn=m(an)
But I don't know what to do next. Is that enough information to solve simultaneously for both the unknown forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
The pilot's seat exerts a force on him to (i) exactly balance his weight, and (ii) to force him to follow a circular path. At the bottom of the plane's loop, what is the direction in which each of these forces acts?

FAQ: Normal tangential co-ordinates(ut,un)

What are normal tangential co-ordinates (ut, un)?

Normal tangential co-ordinates (ut, un) are a type of coordinate system used in mechanics and physics to describe the motion of an object. It is a two-dimensional coordinate system that consists of two components: tangential (ut) and normal (un).

How are normal tangential co-ordinates (ut, un) related to polar coordinates?

Normal tangential co-ordinates (ut, un) can be thought of as a variation of polar coordinates. The tangential component (ut) is equivalent to the radius in polar coordinates, while the normal component (un) is equivalent to the angle.

What is the difference between normal tangential co-ordinates (ut, un) and Cartesian coordinates?

The main difference between normal tangential co-ordinates (ut, un) and Cartesian coordinates is that in the former, the axes are not fixed, but instead rotate with the object's motion. This allows for a more intuitive way of describing the motion of an object.

How are normal tangential co-ordinates (ut, un) used in practical applications?

Normal tangential co-ordinates (ut, un) are commonly used in mechanics and physics, particularly in the study of rotational motion. They are also used in engineering applications, such as in the design of rotating machinery and navigation systems.

What are some advantages of using normal tangential co-ordinates (ut, un) over other coordinate systems?

One advantage of using normal tangential co-ordinates (ut, un) is that they simplify the equations of motion for rotating objects. They also allow for a more intuitive understanding of rotational motion, making it easier to analyze and predict the motion of objects.