Normalisation Constant (Ising Spins)

In summary, the conversation discusses building a computational model for Ising Spins with nearest neighbor interactions. The problem at hand is determining the renormalization constant for the probability of a particle flipping its spin, given by P ∝ exp(-ΔE/T). The Attempt at a Solution suggests setting k = 1 and using a standard approach of unconditionally flipping for ΔE < 0 and flipping with a probability determined by comparing an exponential value to a uniform random number for ΔE > 0.
Aidan1
1. The problem:

Building a (probably very simple) computational model for Ising Spins - particles on a lattice with spin up and spin down, only nearest neighbour interactions. I can't for the life of me figure out the renormalisation constant for the probability of a given particle flipping it's spin.

Homework Equations

We are given that the probability of a given particle flipping its spin goes as [tex] P \propto \exp{( -\Delta E/T )} [/tex] for [itex] \Delta E > 0 [/itex] where [itex] \Delta E [/itex] is the change in energy if the particle flips its spin and T is the temperature of the system.

The Attempt at a Solution

In my code I have set [itex] P = k\exp{( -\Delta E/T )} [/itex] & set k = 1 for now while I check other aspects of the code run okay. I can't figure out an expression for k though - I am aware something's going to need to add up to 1 - tried saying [tex] k\exp{(-\Delta E/T )} + P( \Delta E < 0) + ( 1 - k\exp{(-\Delta E/T )} ) * P(\Delta E > 0) = 1 [/tex] (ie probability of particle flipping spin + probability of not flipping spin = 1 - if [itex] \Delta E < 0 [/itex] the probability of flipping is 1) & just got trivial solutions.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The standard approach is to take ##k=1##, i.e., unconditionally flip if ##\Delta E <0##, and flip with probability ##\exp(-\Delta E/ k_\mathrm{B} T)## for ##\Delta E >0## by comparing the value of that exponential to a uniform random number in the range [0,1[.

What is a normalisation constant in the context of Ising spins?

A normalisation constant (or partition function) is a mathematical term used in statistical mechanics to describe the probability distribution of states in a system of interacting particles, such as Ising spins. It represents the sum of all possible states and is used to calculate thermodynamic quantities.

Why is the normalisation constant important in Ising spin models?

The normalisation constant is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of a specific spin configuration in an Ising model. It also enables us to calculate thermodynamic quantities, such as the average energy and magnetization of the system.

How is the normalisation constant calculated in Ising spin models?

The normalisation constant is calculated by summing the Boltzmann factors of all possible spin configurations in the system. The Boltzmann factor is given by e^(-βH), where β is the inverse temperature and H is the Hamiltonian of the system.

Can the normalisation constant be used to determine the critical temperature in Ising spin models?

Yes, the normalisation constant can be used to determine the critical temperature in Ising spin models. The critical temperature is where the normalisation constant changes from finite to infinite, indicating a phase transition in the system.

Are there any assumptions made when using the normalisation constant in Ising spin models?

Yes, there are some assumptions made when using the normalisation constant in Ising spin models. These include assuming that the system is in thermal equilibrium and that the interactions between particles are short-ranged. Additionally, the normalisation constant assumes that the system is in a closed boundary condition and does not account for boundary effects.