1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalisation Constant (Ising Spins)

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem:

Building a (probably very simple) computational model for Ising Spins - particles on a lattice with spin up and spin down, only nearest neighbour interactions. I can't for the life of me figure out the renormalisation constant for the probability of a given particle flipping it's spin.

2. Relevant equations

We are given that the probability of a given particle flipping its spin goes as [tex] P \propto \exp{( -\Delta E/T )} [/tex] for [itex] \Delta E > 0 [/itex] where [itex] \Delta E [/itex] is the change in energy if the particle flips its spin and T is the temperature of the system.

3. The attempt at a solution

In my code I have set [itex] P = k\exp{( -\Delta E/T )} [/itex] & set k = 1 for now while I check other aspects of the code run okay. I can't figure out an expression for k though - I am aware something's going to need to add up to 1 - tried saying [tex] k\exp{(-\Delta E/T )} + P( \Delta E < 0) + ( 1 - k\exp{(-\Delta E/T )} ) * P(\Delta E > 0) = 1 [/tex] (ie probability of particle flipping spin + probability of not flipping spin = 1 - if [itex] \Delta E < 0 [/itex] the probability of flipping is 1) & just got trivial solutions.

Thanks for the help

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The standard approach is to take ##k=1##, i.e., unconditionally flip if ##\Delta E <0##, and flip with probability ##\exp(-\Delta E/ k_\mathrm{B} T)## for ##\Delta E >0## by comparing the value of that exponential to a uniform random number in the range [0,1[.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted