Normalization constant for Legendre Polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of Legendre Polynomials normalization constant and the use of integration by parts to obtain a specific relationship. The author finds difficulty in obtaining the relationship and seeks help from others.
rafaelpol

Homework Statement

I am following a derivation of Legendre Polynomials normalization constant.

Homework Equations

[tex]

I_l = \int_{-1}^{1}(1-x^2)^l dx = \int_{-1}^{1}(1-x^2)(1-x^2)^{l-1}dx = I_{l-1} - \int_{-1}^{1}x^2(1-x^2)^{l-1}dx

[/tex]

The author then gives that we get the following relationship after integrating by parts the last integral:

[tex]

I_l = I_{l-1} - I_l/(2l)

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't get the last relationship by applying integration by parts. For the integration by parts, I set [tex] u = (1-x^2)^l-1 [/tex] and [tex] dv = x^2dx [/tex]. The [tex] u.v [/tex] term is equal to zero, since the integration goes from -1 to +1. However, for the - [tex] \int vdu [/tex] term I get

[tex]

\int_{-1}^{1} x^3/3(1-x^2)^{l-2}(l-1)(2x)dx

[/tex]

I really cannot see how to get the final relationship by using this result of the integration by parts.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
rafaelpol said:
[tex]
I_l = \int_{-1}^{1}(1-x^2)^l dx = \int_{-1}^{1}(1-x^2)(1-x^2)^{l-1}dx = I_{l-1} - \int_{-1}^{1}x^2(1-x^2)^{l-1}dx
[/tex]

Thanks
For the integral:

[tex]\displaystyle - \int_{-1}^{1}x^2(1-x^2)^{\ell-1}\,dx[/tex]

try integration by parts with:

[tex]\displaystyle u=x\ \to\ du=dx \ \text{ and }\ dv=-2x(1-x^2)^{\ell-1}\,dx\ \to\ v={{1}\over{\ell}}(1-x^2)^\ell\,.[/tex]

Thank you very much.

What is the normalization constant for Legendre Polynomials?

The normalization constant for Legendre Polynomials is a constant that is used to normalize the polynomials so that their values range from -1 to 1. It is denoted by Cn and is given by the formula Cn=√[(2n+1)/2].

Why is the normalization constant important?

The normalization constant is important because it ensures that the Legendre Polynomials are orthonormal, meaning that their inner product is 1 when the polynomials are the same and 0 when they are different. This property is useful in many applications, such as solving differential equations and representing functions as a series of polynomials.

How is the normalization constant calculated?

The normalization constant is calculated using the formula Cn=√[(2n+1)/2], where n is the degree of the polynomial. This formula is derived from the orthogonality condition of the Legendre Polynomials, where the inner product of two polynomials is given by ∫-11 Pm(x)Pn(x)dx = (2/2n+1)δmn, where δmn is the Kronecker delta function.

Can the normalization constant be different for different orders of Legendre Polynomials?

Yes, the normalization constant Cn is different for each order n of Legendre Polynomials. This is because the degree of the polynomial affects the value of the inner product and therefore the value of the normalization constant. As the degree increases, the normalization constant also increases, resulting in a smaller range of values for the polynomials.

What is the significance of the normalization constant in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the normalization constant plays a crucial role in determining the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. The wave function of a particle is represented by the Legendre Polynomials, and the normalization constant ensures that the wave function is normalized to 1, meaning that the particle has a 100% chance of being found somewhere in space. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for making accurate predictions about the behavior of particles.