Normalization of 1D velocity boltzmann distribution

In summary: The main difference will be that the probability of ##0<v<\infty## is 0.5 for one and 1 for the other.
throneoo
Suppose the pdf is A*exp(-mv^2/2kT) , where A is the normalization constant.

To obtain A I would integrate the pdf over the all possible values of v. The question is, should the limits be (-infinity,infinity) or [0,infinity) ? It seems that only by choosing the former can I get the correct normalization, but if in essence this is derived from an energy distribution , why doesn't it run from 0 to infinity?

If I try to work out <v> or <v^2> of this distribution, should I use (-infinity,infinity) or [0,infinity) ? because I always use the latter when working with the standard 3D maxwell Boltzmann distribution (normalization, <v>, <v^2>)

Physics news on Phys.org
The pdf should be integrated over all possible values of v.
It is important to understand the processes you use, not just remember to use them.

Simon Bridge said:
The pdf should be integrated over all possible values of v.
It is important to understand the processes you use, not just remember to use them.
as far as i understand it, the function is derived from a distribution of speed, which starts from 0. But if i am to use it to find the distribution of velocity, I presume it is reasonable to start from -infinity.

What I would then be confused about is the following: In the derivation of the 3d speed distribution , the same 1d velocity normalization constant (from above) is raised to the power 3. Why is a velocity normalization constant used in a speed distribution ?

Consider:
In each linear degree of freedom, the velocity distribution function would be even - since there is an equal chance of going either way.

What is the difference when you try the derivation from velocity instead of speed?

Consider:
In each linear degree of freedom, the velocity distribution function would be even - since there is an equal chance of going either way.

What is the difference when you try the derivation from velocity instead of speed?

Simon Bridge said:
Consider:

If I start from linear speed distributions from the start, I would get a normalization constant that is twice as large as that for a velocity distribution. Thus the 3d speed distribution would have an extra factor of 8 compared to the standard one, which is derived from linear velocity distributions

OK - so that basically means that the area in ##(-\infty,\infty)## for the un-normalized speed-derived function is twice that for the un-normalized velocity distribution.
Does that makes sense considering what you are doing?

After normalization, the main difference will be that the probability of ##0<v<\infty## is 0.5 for one and 1 for the other.

What is the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It is based on the principles of statistical mechanics and is used to describe the distribution of velocities of particles in a gas.

What is the significance of normalizing the 1D velocity Boltzmann distribution?

Normalizing the 1D velocity Boltzmann distribution allows for the calculation of the relative probabilities of different particle velocities in a gas. This is important for understanding the behavior of the gas and making predictions about its properties.

How is the 1D velocity Boltzmann distribution normalized?

The 1D velocity Boltzmann distribution is normalized by dividing each velocity by the root mean square velocity of the gas. This results in a normalized distribution with a peak value of 1 at the most probable velocity.

What is the relationship between the normalization constant and the gas temperature?

The normalization constant in the 1D velocity Boltzmann distribution is directly proportional to the inverse of the gas temperature. This means that as the gas temperature increases, the normalization constant decreases, resulting in a wider distribution of particle velocities.

Can the 1D velocity Boltzmann distribution be applied to other systems besides gases?

Yes, the 1D velocity Boltzmann distribution can be applied to any system in thermal equilibrium, where the particles have a distribution of velocities. This includes systems such as liquids, solids, and plasmas.