Is My Normalized Wave Function Accurate?

In summary, the speaker built a small program to show the integration of the normalized hydrogen wave function (ground state) to unity. However, they encountered an absurd value of 4.6x10^19 instead. They spanned a large volume and calculated the sum of the product of the volume element and the wave function squared. When they changed the discretization for the radial distance, they obtained a different value for the resulting probability. The speaker then questioned where they were missing the point and received three suggestions: checking units, using the correct volume element for integration, and normalizing the sum for the number of discretization points. After further discussion, the speaker was able to fix their program and obtain accurate values for the area, volume,
intervoxel
Hi,

I built a small program to show that the normalized hydrogen wave function (ground state) integrates to unity, as expected. But I got an absurd value: 4.6x10^19 instead.

I spanned a big volume (30 Bohr's radius) calculating and summing the product dr*dphi*dtheta * psi * psi.

Worse yet, when I choose a different discretization for the radial distance, I get very different value for the resulting probability.

Where am I missing the point?

Physics news on Phys.org
intervoxel said:
Hi,

I built a small program to show that the normalized hydrogen wave function (ground state) integrates to unity, as expected. But I got an absurd value: 4.6x10^19 instead.

I spanned a big volume (30 Bohr's radius) calculating and summing the product dr*dphi*dtheta * psi * psi.

Worse yet, when I choose a different discretization for the radial distance, I get very different value for the resulting probability.

Where am I missing the point?

Three things:

1) are your units correct?
2) are you using the correct volume element for your integration? I ask because what you posted above is not the correct volume element for spherical coordinates ...
3) are you remembering to normalize your sum for the number of discretization points?

SpectraCat said:
Three things:

1) are your units correct?
2) are you using the correct volume element for your integration? I ask because what you posted above is not the correct volume element for spherical coordinates ...
3) are you remembering to normalize your sum for the number of discretization points?
1) Yes, I'm using Griffiths formulae, which uses the SI system.
2) I followed the recommendation contained in the paper by Tarantola: http://www.cmmacs.ernet.in/inverse/Diverse/DensityVersusVolume/DensityVersusVolume.pdf (equation 9).
3) Nope! I modified the program but the problem still remains (I divided the integrated value by the number of elements).

Last edited by a moderator:
intervoxel said:
1) Yes, I'm using Griffiths formulae, which uses the SI system.
2) I followed the recommendation contained in the paper by Tarantola: http://www.cmmacs.ernet.in/inverse/Diverse/DensityVersusVolume/DensityVersusVolume.pdf (equation 9).

[STRIKE]Ok, that looks bizarre and wrong, at least for applications in Q.M. Everything in section 3 is complete nonsense if one is using the standard definition of a probability density in Q.M., which is just the square modulus of the wavefunction multiplied by the volume element.[/STRIKE] You must multiply by the proper volume element ... [tex]r^{2}sin\theta drd\theta d\phi[/tex] ... that is part of the definition of the probability density in Q.M.

EDIT: Ok, I wrote the crossed out stuff above too quickly .. after looking at the paper more carefully, everything the author wrote is correct ... his phrasing is just a little weird, and section 3 really threw me for a loop when I was skimming through.

3) Nope! I modified the program but the problem still remains (I divided the integrated value by the number of elements).

step 3 shouldn't be necessary *IF* you are using the correctly scaled volume element for your sum (including units).

EDIT: Think about it this way, what is the volume of a region of space bounded by equal sized steps along the coordinates r, theta and phi? The answer depends on where you are relative to the origin right? Regions close to the origin will have smaller volumes than those that are farther away, and you must account for this somehow. You can either do it by using a probability density, which includes the volume element in the definition (this is what the author is talking about in his paper). Or you can just integrate [tex]\psi^{*}\psi[/tex], which is what the author calls a "volumetric probability", but then you need to account for the volume element explicitly when doing the integration. Both treatments end up the same for your case:

[tex]P\left(r,\theta,\phi\right)=\int^{2\pi}_{0}d\phi\int^{\pi}_{0}sin\theta d\theta\int^{\infty}_{0}r^{2}dr\psi^{*}\left(r,\theta,\phi\right)\psi\left(r,\theta,\phi\right) \approx \sum_{i=1}^{M}r^{2}_{i}\Delta r\sum_{j=1}^{N}sin\theta_{j}\Delta\theta\sum_{k=1}^{Q}\Delta\phi\left[\psi^{*}\left(r_{i},\theta_{j},\phi_{k}\right)\psi\left(r_{i},\theta_{j},\phi_{k}\right)\right][/tex]

where all points along a given coordinate are equally spaced, and [tex]N\Delta\theta=\pi, Q\Delta\phi=2\pi, M\Delta r=R[/tex]

where R is some large arbitrary value, like your choice of 30 Angstroms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the groundstate wavefunction is separable and following the general principle of walking before running you might as well check that your computer program can do the 1-dimensional integrals correctly first. The squared radial part should integrate to 1, and the squared angular part should integrate to 1. (with the phi integral being trivial)

Thank you guys. I think it's all right now.

Using the discretization values:

NR = 200;
NTHETA = 120;
NPHI = 240;

I got the following result, which is fine:

area = 12.565652868273277 = 12.566370614359172
volume = 4.157189180804628 = 4.1887902047863905
angular = 0.9999428835812512 = 1
radial = 0.9999664899367885 = 1
psi = 0.9999093754274876 = 1

Related to Is My Normalized Wave Function Accurate?

1. What is a normalized wave function?

A normalized wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probability of finding the system in a certain state. It is normalized when the integral of the wave function squared over all possible states is equal to 1, indicating a total probability of 100%.

2. Why is normalization important in wave functions?

Normalization is important because it ensures that the total probability of finding the quantum system in any possible state is equal to 100%. This ensures that the wave function accurately reflects the physical reality of the system and allows for accurate predictions to be made.

3. How is a wave function normalized?

To normalize a wave function, the integral of the wave function squared over all possible states must equal 1. This can be achieved by dividing the original wave function by the square root of the integral of the wave function squared.

4. What happens if a wave function is not normalized?

If a wave function is not normalized, it means that the total probability of finding the system in any possible state is less than 100%. This can lead to inaccurate predictions and a misrepresentation of the physical reality of the system.

5. Can a wave function be normalized for all systems?

Yes, a wave function can be normalized for all systems. However, the specific method for normalization may vary depending on the system and its properties. In some cases, the normalization may not be possible due to certain restrictions or limitations of the system.