Norton Equivalent Circuit: Find i(sc) and R(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of the short-circuit current and Thévenin resistance in a circuit using mesh current analysis. The equations used and their solutions are provided, and the discussion also addresses discrepancies with the values given in a book. Ultimately, the correct values are determined with the help of a new loop current.
TheCarl

Homework Statement

The (b) circuit shown in the attached image is the Norton equivalent circuit of the (a) circuit. Find the value of the short-circuit current, isc, and Thévenin resistance, Rt.

isc being the current that would flow through the two open nodes if they were shorted.

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now I'm stuck on the current. I used mesh current analysis to find the current. Here are my equations.

KVLa: -10v + 3ia - 2ia + 6(ia - isc) = 0

KVLsc: 6(isc - ia) + 5isc = 0

I reduced and ordered the equations as follows:

KVLa: 7ia - 6isc = 10
KVLsc: -6ia + 11isc = 0

Which I solved as:

ia = 2.68A
isc = 1.46A

However the book has the isc equaling 1.13A

Where have I messed up?

Attachments

• n05f119.gif
    n05f119.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
ia is the net current through the 6Ω resistor, not the mesh current in the first mesh.

Perfect!

i1 = 2.08
ia = 0.94
isc = 1.13

I wish I wasn't struggling with the second part but I am so any help there would be much appreciated as well.

So with ia being 0.94, that means that the dependent voltage source is 1.88. add that to the other voltage source in series and you get 11.88 volts.

To get the Voc you would do voltage divide: 11.88v*(6Ω/(6Ω+3Ω)) which gives you a Voc of 7.92v

Divide that by the isc should give you the Rt. Which for me came out to be 7.01Ω but the book says that it is 7.57Ω.

Any suggestions?

On open circuit, ia will no longer be 0.94A will it? There's a new loop current.

That's it! Thank you so much for your responses!

TheCarl said:
That's it! Thank you so much for your responses!
We're just happy to be able to help!

What is a Norton equivalent circuit?

A Norton equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains current sources and resistors. It is used to simplify circuit analysis and make calculations easier.

How do I find the short-circuit current (isc) in a Norton equivalent circuit?

To find the short-circuit current, you can remove all the resistors from the circuit and replace them with a wire. Then, calculate the current flowing through this wire, which will be equal to isc.

What is Rt in a Norton equivalent circuit?

Rt is the total resistance of the circuit when all voltage sources are replaced with short circuits and all current sources are replaced with open circuits. It is also known as the Norton resistance and is used to simplify the circuit analysis even further.

How do I calculate Rt in a Norton equivalent circuit?

To calculate Rt, you need to remove all the voltage sources from the circuit and calculate the resistance between the two terminals where the sources were connected. This resistance will be equal to Rt.

Can I use a Norton equivalent circuit to replace a complex circuit in a circuit analysis?

Yes, a Norton equivalent circuit can be used to replace a complex circuit in a circuit analysis. It simplifies the calculation process and provides the same results as the original circuit.