1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Norton Equivalent Circuit: Find i(sc) and R(t)

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The (b) circuit shown in the attached image is the Norton equivalent circuit of the (a) circuit. Find the value of the short-circuit current, isc, and Thévenin resistance, Rt.

isc being the current that would flow through the two open nodes if they were shorted.

3. The attempt at a solution

Right now I'm stuck on the current. I used mesh current analysis to find the current. Here are my equations.

KVLa: -10v + 3ia - 2ia + 6(ia - isc) = 0

KVLsc: 6(isc - ia) + 5isc = 0

I reduced and ordered the equations as follows:

KVLa: 7ia - 6isc = 10
    KVLsc: -6ia + 11isc = 0

Which I solved as:

ia = 2.68A
    isc = 1.46A

However the book has the isc equaling 1.13A

Where have I messed up?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

ia is the net current through the 6Ω resistor, not the mesh current in the first mesh.

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    Perfect!

i1 = 2.08
    ia = 0.94
    isc = 1.13

I wish I wasn't struggling with the second part but I am so any help there would be much appreciated as well.

So with ia being 0.94, that means that the dependent voltage source is 1.88. add that to the other voltage source in series and you get 11.88 volts.

To get the Voc you would do voltage divide: 11.88v*(6Ω/(6Ω+3Ω)) which gives you a Voc of 7.92v

Divide that by the isc should give you the Rt. Which for me came out to be 7.01Ω but the book says that it is 7.57Ω.

Any suggestions?

5. Mar 4, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

On open circuit, ia will no longer be 0.94A will it? There's a new loop current.

6. Mar 4, 2013 #5
    That's it! Thank you so much for your responses!

7. Mar 5, 2013 #6

NascentOxygen

We're just happy to be able to help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted