Nortons Equivalent Circuit to find I

In summary, the conversation discusses using Norton's Theorem to find the current and equivalent resistance in a circuit with multiple sources and resistors. The speaker has attempted to simplify the circuit using source conversion but was unsuccessful. They then ask for help on how to start and receive a response explaining the steps to find the Norton equivalent.
the-alchemist

Homework Statement

XNOoY.png

Use Norton's Equivalent Circuit to find current I through 15ohm resistor.

Homework Equations

norton's theorem states that any two terminal network that includes many sources and resistors can be converted into an equivalent two terminal network with one current source and a parallel resistor

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried to simplify the circuit using source conversion but have failed. do i need to regard the 10 ohm and 5 ohm as in series and 12 ohm and 16 ohm in series? then use the resulting resistances in parallel to the 200v source?

any help on how to start would be great. thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is yes, think of it like this;

scan0002-1.jpg

Now remember, current will only flow in the virtical wire depending on the potential difference between the two points where it hits the horizontal ones, work out what the potential will be at the two points where the dividing wire touches the two parralel wires and then use I = V/R

Last edited:
Remove the 15-ohm resistor from the circuit and label the two nodes to which it connected A and B. What you want to do is replace the remaining circuit by its Norton equivalent. To find INorton, you want to short A and B and calculate how much current flows through the wire connecting A to B. To find RNorton, replace the voltage source with a wire and calculate the equivalent resistance seen between A and B.

1. What is Nortons Equivalent Circuit and how is it used to find I?

Nortons Equivalent Circuit is a simplified circuit that can be used to calculate the current (I) in a circuit. It is derived from the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit and is often used in circuit analysis and design.

2. How do you calculate the Norton current (IN)?

The Norton current can be calculated by finding the Thevenin resistance (RTh) of the circuit, which is the equivalent resistance across the load terminals, and using Ohm's law (I=V/R) where V is the open circuit voltage of the circuit. The Norton current is then equal to V/RTh.

3. Can Nortons Equivalent Circuit be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Nortons Equivalent Circuit can be used for both DC and AC circuits as long as the circuit is linear and time-invariant.

4. How does Nortons Equivalent Circuit differ from Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

The main difference between Nortons and Thevenin Equivalent Circuits is the representation of the voltage and current sources. In Nortons Equivalent Circuit, the voltage source is replaced by a current source and the Thevenin resistance is replaced by the Norton resistance. However, both circuits can be used interchangeably to find the current (I) in a circuit.

5. What are the advantages of using Nortons Equivalent Circuit?

Nortons Equivalent Circuit offers a simplified representation of a complex circuit and can easily be used to calculate the current (I) in a circuit. It also allows for easier analysis and design of circuits, as well as providing a more accurate representation of circuit behavior compared to simplified models like the ideal voltage and current sources.