Not a homework - just a question about simply rounding off in physics

In summary: There are no more than 3 significant figures to start with.2. The first digit to be dropped is 5.3. The digit following the first digit to be dropped is 0....then I can only conclude (according to the document) that the result has 2 significant figures and that the last digit is even. I don't see how this information is enough to infer that the answer is 52.5 and not 52. Hence my confusion :uhh:.I think it's more to do with statistics. The rule (that I was taught) is that if it's a 5, round up if the preceding digit is odd. This is supposed to be more statistically
Edwardo_Elric
ok
we had two significant figures as the least in our given
so what i did was to calculate the speed of the airplane...
my result is 52.5m/s... i round it to two significant figures which is 53m/s

but our proff earlier wrote the answer in the blackboard 52.5m/s and considered it as just |V| = 52m/s...

is rounding off in physics different? because I am really certain that .5 can be rounded off to one ... and besides i checked it here http://www.gomath.com/algebra/round.php and its really 53

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edwardo_Elric said:
is rounding off in physics different?

No, your teacher probably just made a mistake. 52.5 to two significant figures is equal to 53.

Was the result exactly 52.5? If not, then, to 4 significant figures, what is the answer?

What I'm getting at is that, for example, 52.47 "rounds" to both 53.5 and 52, depending on how may digits are kept.

rounding off rules

Strictly speaking, your teacher is correct. According to current thinking, if the first digit to be dropped is 5, and it's followed by all zeroes (or nothing), then you only round up if the preceding digit is odd. (This is supposed to be more statistically valid than the old rule--that I admit I still follow mostly--of rounding up whenever the first digit to be dropped is 5.)

Do a search on "rounding off rules" and you find lots of sites describing this. Here's one: http://www.hartnell.cc.ca.us/faculty/shovde/chem22s/roundingrules.htm"

More importantly: Was the answer really 52.5? To how many significant digits?

Doc Al said:
Strictly speaking, your teacher is correct. According to current thinking, if the first digit to be dropped is 5, and it's followed by all zeroes (or nothing), then you only round up if the preceding digit is odd. (This is supposed to be more statistically valid than the old rule--that I admit I still follow mostly--of rounding up whenever the first digit to be dropped is 5.)

Do a search on "rounding off rules" and you find lots of sites describing this. Here's one: http://www.hartnell.cc.ca.us/faculty/shovde/chem22s/roundingrules.htm"

Wow, that's something I've never come across in all my years of studying maths! Still, though, I'm not sure whether a physics teacher would employ this "round to even" method when teaching a class, since the statistical advantage of the method will be zero in this case.

Perhaps the OP should ask which method of rounding the teacher is using (both for piece of mind, and to avoid getting the "incorrect" answer in future exams for this course).

Doc Al said:
According to current thinking, if the first digit to be dropped is 5, and it's followed by all zeroes (or nothing), then you only round up if the preceding digit is odd.

I wasn't taught this when I was in school, but, after reading your post, I remembered that a couple of years ago, someone told this rule.

George Jones said:
for example, 52.47 "rounds" to both 53.5 and 52

I meant to write 52.5, not 53.3.

heres the problem:
An airplane travels 480 m(thats 2 significant figures) down the runway before taking off. It starts from rest, moves with constant acceleration, and becomes airborne in 16.0s What is its speed, in m/s, when it takes off?

So the rule says that when you multiply it must be with the least significant figure... 52.5m/s round it off to two...

And really thanks for all the replies guys
it means that I have to search him for consultation hours..

omg is that true the preceding digit applies? didnt know that

Last edited:
Edwardo_Elric said:
heres the problem:
An airplane travels 480 m(thats 2 significant figures) down the runway before taking off. It starts from rest, moves with constant acceleration, and becomes airborne in 16.0s What is its speed, in m/s, when it takes off?
The number of significant figures in 480 m is ambiguous (unless they tell you, of course!). Written as 480, it should be 2 sig figs as you state. If they meant to show 3 sig figs, it should be written as 4.80 *10^2. But 480 could mean 3 sig figs, if the author was sloppy.

So the rule says that when you multiply it must be with the least significant figure... 52.5m/s round it off to two...
OK... so where do you get the 52.5 m/s??

Doc Al said:

420 m instead of 480 m?

Doc Al said:
The number of significant figures in 480 m is ambiguous (unless they tell you, of course!). Written as 480, it should be 2 sig figs as you state. If they meant to show 3 sig figs, it should be written as 4.80 *10^2. But 480 could mean 3 sig figs, if the author was sloppy.

I have learned differently. I have learned that in a physics context, only significant figures were shown in a problem, so that 480 m really means three sig figs. That if only two sig figs were intended, it should have been written as 4.8 x 10^2 m. I guess it shows that there is no uniformity in the way it is taught.

No information is given about the precision of the measuring instrument used or the resulting uncertainty in the measurement. As a result, it's really hard to say what was meant by 480 m and how many sig figs *ought* to be used to represent the message. If I assumed that we were measuring down to the nearest metre or something, then I'd agree with nrqed: 3 sig figs.

Doc Al said:

More importantly: Was the answer really 52.5? To how many significant digits?

Interesting document. If I know that someone is using this method, and I see they have written 21.4, then I know that the actual number is between 21.35, and 21.45 inclusive. But if I see 21.5, then I know the actual number is somewhere between 21.45 and 21.55 exclusive. Is that the general intention?

FAQ: Not a homework - just a question about simply rounding off in physics

1. How do I know which direction to round off in physics?

In physics, rounding off should always be done in the direction that preserves the most significant figures. This means that if the digit to be dropped is 5 or greater, the preceding digit should be increased by 1. If the digit to be dropped is less than 5, the preceding digit should remain the same.

2. Can I round off in the middle of a calculation?

It is generally not recommended to round off in the middle of a calculation. It is best to carry all significant figures through the calculation and round off at the end. This will ensure the most accurate result.

3. How many significant figures should I use when rounding off in physics?

The number of significant figures to use when rounding off in physics depends on the precision of the original measurement. In general, it is best to round off to the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the least number of significant figures.

4. Does rounding off affect the accuracy of a measurement?

Rounding off can affect the accuracy of a measurement, as it introduces some degree of error. However, if the rounding is done properly, it should not significantly impact the overall accuracy of the measurement.

5. Are there any rules for rounding off in scientific notation?

Yes, there are specific rules for rounding off in scientific notation. The final answer should be written in scientific notation with the same number of significant figures as the original measurement. If the digit to be dropped is 5 or greater, the preceding digit should be increased by 1. If the digit to be dropped is less than 5, the preceding digit should remain the same. The final answer should also be rounded to the appropriate power of 10.